Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I went to look at a project Omni GLH today (N/A nonturbo). The body looks great, no dents or scratches and only one small section of rust over the driver's side rear quarter panel. The car ran great. However when I looked under the car, I wasn't too excited with what I saw.
Based on these (crappy) pictures, can someone give me advice as to how far gone this car is? It would be my first project and I've always wanted an Omni GLH forever. But I'm just worried I'm digging myself a hole I can't get out of. That rust doesn't look pretty..

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
586 Posts
no worries for the things you pictured, just remove and have them blasted then powedercoat or paint if you like. But im with vnted, check the floors, im currently working on floor repair in my 85 GLHT.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Where is the car from? What about sheet metal rust? Rockers, front floor boards, trunk pan, etc...
We don't know much history about the car. I'm purchasing it upstate NY, so assume the worst. I didn't look under the carpet unfortunately...

no worries for the things you pictured, just remove and have them blasted then powedercoat or paint if you like. But im with vnted, check the floors, im currently working on floor repair in my 85 GLHT.
That's great news. Thanks for the input everyone.
How much would you guys value this car at? The interior is a little rough and I noticed a few problems with the car while looking at it.
First the clutch seems to be on its way out, the tach wasn't working, the rust, and also it seemed there wasn't a cover on the end of the cam. I could see the end of it visibly spinning. I assume there is supposed to be a cover over this and I'm a little worried dirt or something may have gotten into the engine without the cover?

He said the lowest he could go is $2k, however I don't see how a non-turbo GLH could be worth that in this condition.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,682 Posts
K, ... there's some specific things to check before estimating any kind of value

does it still have rocker panels?

and more importantly , THE thing I always check first

in the back of each front wheel well is a seam
it follows the inner edge of the plastic liner
IF you have rot there you have a direct hole into the car beside each foot and probably not much floor to speak of

and the floor rots out starting up along the end of the firewall on that seam

it took me almost thirty years to find the car I have now (locally) .. partly because I stopped bothering with ones that were rotted THERE

and they were rotted out as early as 3 - 5 years old

and most importantly .. "same kind of money" bought my rust free car

with patience good stuff does come along so ballance that against exactly how much you might want to fix vs how much you want to do anything else , like drive the car or modify it

no point in "restoring" something just to build a race car or modified car

1 - 6 of 6 Posts