Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all!
i would just like to verify some info i got from autozone online. im doing my headgasket in a few weeks. so. autozone said the correct ft. lbs to torque the head is 52. is that correct? also it said to tie up the rocker arm assembly? i havent seen that said except at autozone..do u need to do n e thing with the rocker arms? or can you just take the bolts off and pull the head off? also the torque sequence it said was startin on the outside and working your way in. is that correct too? thks!
ryan

·
Banned
580 Posts
not even close. IDK what the rocker arms has anything to do with this (are you reading about a 3.0 or a 1.6 or what?) I just checked autozone and below is the exact information for a head bolts on a 2.2 or 2.5, Your info isn't anything like what I found on the same web site.

Torque sequence ------------ front | 10 6 2 3 7 | | 9 5 1 4 8 | ------------ Step 1: torque to 45 Ft/Lbs Step 2: torque to 65 Ft/Lbs Step 3: recheck torque at 65 Ft/Lbs Step 4: torque an additional 90 degreesRecheck final torque in sequence *** CAUTION ***engine uses Torque To Yield head bolts (TTY) thatpermanently stretch during the initial installation.New head bolts must be used when cylinder head isreplaced or re-installed to obtain proper torque.

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
lol well so far this info seems wrong but depending on what car your working on, a 2.2/2.5 the torque specs on head bolts are 45, 65, 65 then a 1/4 turn, and as for the rockers not really a think on the 2.2/2.5. lol

·
Banned
580 Posts
I bought 17 mopar head gaskets off ebay for $10 each. Nice day for me.

I never had problems with Felpro's even with over 12:1 compression. But when I got such a deal I'll use my supply up before I'll need to visit the Zone.

·
Administrator
24,824 Posts
Do Not use a Fel-Pro headgasket.
You can purcahse a MP headgasket from FWD Performance.

The headbolts are "torque to yield" and should be replaced each time he head is removed.
The last step in the torque procedure should bring you to 90 ft. lbs.
If it does not the bolts are stretched and need to be replaced.
You can also upgrade to ARP headstuds if you want better clamping of the head or if you are going to add performance mods or up the boost.
The headstuds never need replacement.

Fel-Pro Head Gasket After Overboost

·
Legendary Driver
10,942 Posts
Do NOT LISTEN TO ANYTHING OFF AUTOSTONED!

The torque amounts are different depending on if you have 10mm or 11mm head bolts. I can't remember the 10mm headbolt #'s but the 45-65-65, 1/4 turn TurboMini stated is right for the 11mm headbolts. You start at center front, then center back, and go clockwise out from there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol its for a 86 t1 shelby charger. I gettin the steel layered hg that's 140$ from fwd performance tomorrow. Ok so the torque is 45. 65. 65. 1/4 turn. Got it. Now about the sequence is it start from the outside head bolts...and work my way in?

·
Banned
580 Posts
dude, they gave you the picture showing head torque sequence.

The info on autozone is accurate. However information is only as accurate as the person looking it up. Lookup the wrong info and you get the wrong answer. I copied the exact information from Autozone for a 1986 dodge charger and it's exactly as everyone else stated.

·
Legendary Driver
10,942 Posts
I hope you had the head and block resurfaced to the correct Ra # for that MLS gasket. i prefer the MP/normal gasket as I'd rather blow one of them than a hole in the piston.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I bought 17 mopar head gaskets off ebay for $10 each. Nice day for me.
I got ya beat, in quantity anyway, I bought 40+ composite ACL's for under $20 off ebay, lol I've used 10 between me and my buddy's cars and not a failure yet :thumb:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
? I'm runnin 14lbs. R u telling me that the thicker metal head gasket will be worse then the stock thick mp head gasket? Thicker hg means lower compression. Which means you can run high boost. Just what I need on a non innercooled t1. ?

·
Legendary Driver
10,942 Posts
What I'm saying is that if you get some detonation is that I'd rather blow out the softer stock/mp headgasket than have zero give in my headgasket and blow a hole in the piston instead. But you need to have a very smooth surface to run an MLS gasket. If a machine shop just surfaced things and didn't know what Ra # you needed then it's probably pretty rough by machining standards. Good for stock style gaskets but leaves places for fluids to leak with an MLS style gasket.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Lol its for a 86 t1 shelby charger. I gettin the steel layered hg that's 140$ from fwd performance tomorrow. Ok so the torque is 45. 65. 65. 1/4 turn. Got it. Now about the sequence is it start from the outside head bolts...and work my way in?

Don't run the Cometic, it's a waste of money and a worse choice then stock in your case.

And Fel-Pro's have been redesigned since the design that failed at the first sign of detonation, (which was better then putting a hole in a piston.) They now have a one piece siamesed fire ring and other reinforcement. They also make a MLS that is HARD to find, but does exist. I'd still prefer to run a MP one, but if in a pinch, Fel-pros are ok now. Just make sure you check the gasket before you buy it, as I'm sure some are still selling old stock that has been sitting for years.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Part Number: FWD 44-0574
ok that number aboves is the mls headgasket at fwd perf. it says its .065 and it says that is the "stock" thickness. Then i looked for the MP HG on fwd perf. website and it says .040-.042...which is Part Number 44-0219
i do not want to run higher compression with a thinner hg. altho i would like to use a MP HG because of what everyone tells me. SO...where can i find the stock. .065 MP HG? thks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol actually i was just searching and found a mp hg on summitracing.com. I have a question tho. i Have a 1986 dodge shelby charger. but the Head is off a 1989 turbo lancer. so do i need a T1 86 headgasket? or do i need the one for the t2? please help someone :) thks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ur pos.? can u do me a favor and check these part numbers to verify for me. they r off summit racing. ok heres the HG part number : 44520005. and heres the Head bolts number : 4349736. thks! would be aprriated turismo

1 - 20 of 40 Posts