Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started down that road once again. So I had my T2 Rampage engine rebuilt about 18 years ago I guess. Originally I had dreams of 20psi. Never got there. It's a long story but I'll start with the recent details. The car has been smoking for a long time but as I hardly drive it (probably don't put 500 miles on it a year) figured it was cheaper to add a quart of oil now and then. I finally got fed up with that. So what did I do? New valve seals, no change. Had the head worked, no change. New turbo, no change. It seemed like a valve guide in that it smoked after sitting at a stop light a few min. But the head was rebuilt so it couldn't be that. Pulled the head and #3 piston. Thought it might be a broke ring. Well piston/rings were fine. The gaps were not aligned. Took the head to the machinist and he pointed out the valve on #3 cylinder. It was black up the shaft. Ok,time to rebuild the head.
When I pulled the piston it was clear the bearings should be changed. Oh and since the motors out good time to get a new clutch. Everything going back in will be new well not the radiator and IC or turbo those should be fine.

Here's the plan. Fresh rebuild on the engine, new clutch, new radiator hoses, water punp, oil pump, I'd like to do the PDC upgrade if I can find a unit small enough to fit in the page. If the motor is not sorted after this I'M DONE WITH IT! I'm getting too old to be crawling under this trucklet. I will be posting picts as I progeress. Waiting to get parts back from the machine shop.

If all goes well I plan to put the A/C back in.

This all started because of a bad valve guide! So let the games begin!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've started down that road once again. So I had my T2 Rampage engine rebuilt about 18 years ago I guess. Originally I had dreams of 20psi. Never got there. It's a long story but I'll start with the recent details. The car has been smoking for a long time but as I hardly drive it (probably don't put 500 miles on it a year) figured it was cheaper to add a quart of oil now and then. I finally got fed up with that. So what did I do? New valve seals, no change. Had the head worked, no change. New turbo, no change. It seemed like a valve guide in that it smoked after sitting at a stop light a few min. But the head was rebuilt so it couldn't be that. Pulled the head and #3 piston. Thought it might be a broke ring. Well piston/rings were fine. The gaps were not aligned. Took the head to the machinist and he pointed out the valve on #3 cylinder. It was black up the shaft. Ok,time to rebuild the head.
When I pulled the piston it was clear the bearings should be changed. Oh and since the motors out good time to get a new clutch. Everything going back in will be new well not the radiator and IC or turbo those should be fine.

Here's the plan. Fresh rebuild on the engine, new clutch, new radiator hoses, water punp, oil pump, I'd like to do the PDC upgrade if I can find a unit small enough to fit in the page. If the motor is not sorted after this I'M DONE WITH IT! I'm getting too old to be crawling under this trucklet. I will be posting picts as I progeress. Waiting to get parts back from the machine shop.

If all goes well I plan to put the A/C back in.

This all started because of a bad valve guide! So let the games begin!
Just put in a spare motor and inspect/build that one at your own pace. I picked up a couple free/cheap ones to make spares so I'm not getting pissed tearing motors apart in the car all day in the dirt chasing problems. If the compression isn't low it's usually a sealing issue with smoking. I'm gonna build this one outside without any machine shop prob cost 50-100 in gaskets/bearings and alot of cleaning...
20210710_154206.jpg

20210710_154107.jpg

20210710_154150.jpg

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fortunately I do not use this as a daily driver so no need to swap a temporary motor in. Also I hate doing things twice. Different strokes for different folks. I say goodonya you know what works for you.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still waiting for my motor to come back. I know I should just wait it out but rummaging through the garage I found a suipra intercooler. I'm thinking about mounting it horizontally in the front nose of the Page at the bottom and cut out the bottom of the bupper so the air can pass through.. Seems like there's plenty of room there and it wouldn't block the condenser or radiator. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The motovation truck stopped by today and I got a little done on the page. Cleaned the bell housing. Maybe it doesn't look that good but you should have seen it before! The hood had pulled away from the stiffeners a long time ago so siliconed it. I will be purchasing a new insulation mat for it so the silicon won't be seen. That's not the rampage imitating a walrus just putting pressure on the support for the hood while silicon sets. That's all the motovation that was dropped off today. Still waiting on the motor and a few other parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts