Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to prime the oil system on the new engine today, only to find out that one rocker has no oil flowing from the hole in the end. I figured I might have put the lifter disk in backwards, so I took it out and made sure it was installed right. While it was out I made sure there was nothing in the oil line in the rocker. When reinstalling it I also made sure to put the offending rocker in a different position on the rocker shaft. I did rotate the cam several times priming the system to 60 psi to make sure I would catch the position where the hole in the shaft is lined up directly with the hole in the rocker. Still no dice. The other 15 rockers worked out great, only this one is giving me issues. There is a very small amount of oil that leaks around the body of the lifter and onto the valve spring retainer. It's tough to tell if the others are doing that as well since they have a good amount of oil coming from the hole in the end.

Any idea what's going on?

L

·
0 Posts
Have you actually started the motor yet? I had a few rockers not prime on me a few times with fresh motors but once they are started oil comes out like its supposed to. I thought something was wrong with them befroe starting the motor but its like oil couldnt get there or something before it actually ran for a few seconds. Other than that looks like you checked the things I would have already. Did you use any grease to hold the lifter into the rockers? Are they stock rockers or did you modify tem at all? What lifters?

·
Registered
667 Posts
+1

I'd just start the sucker and see if the issue is resolved after a minute or two, otherwise shut down. (if it doesnt knock you're good)

L

·
0 Posts
I just got done putting a fresh TIII in my lateset Spirit and while priming only a few had oil comming out but after start-up all but one did. That one had ALOT of grease in it that I used to hold the lifter in the rocker. After a minute of run time it went from a small trickle to a good steady flow. So mine is good to go after being scared for a minute especially just reading your post before I headed out to the shop to put mine in. START IT:D

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No grease used when the lifters were installed; just some penetrating lube. I have not started the engine. It's still on the stand actually. I was priming the system before degreeing the cams so everything would be good to go for startup.

I thought about the chance there was too much grease used when assembling the rockers & shafts, but I didn't use any grease for reassembly after taking it apart today. I also ran a long allen wrench through that oil passage to make sure it was clear.

The silver lining to all this I found the front oil gallery plug was leaking a bit. It will definitely be easier to change on the stand than in the car. Still doesn't make me happy that it's on the stand instead of in the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts