Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My turbo was giving too much boost and cutting out, also made a bit of a whine. I took my car to a mechanic, but they told me they can't fix turbos?
In the mean time I think I may have blown the turbo. I was revving it up and it went boom! Smoke everywhere, can still drive but sounds horrible and smokes like hell... So I stopped driving it.
Did I in fact blow my turbo up? If so, does anyone know where a good place to take my car would be in the southeast MN area?

Thanks-
Spencer

·
Banned
5,190 Posts
Turbos don't typically go "boom" when they blow. Got a compression gauge? I'd start there. Confirm your compression is good.
Another good thing to check is to pull the inlet hose off the front of the turbo, with the engine off, reach in and grab the compressor wheel and give it a fairly gentle wiggle. If it's wiggling freely, that's a bad sign.
Your details say you have a TIII, that's the 16v motor. Is that correct? Those things are horrifically unreliable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.