Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I can call around myself ,but thought I'd give it a shot here anyway.I have an excellent G head that I would really like to use. It is absolutely perfect,no cracks between valves,but it is the dreaded OSJ head. I have the original cam,but it's a N/A.Does any one know if you can get an OSJ cam for a turbo? Is there enough meat to regrind to turbo specs? Could I use this in a 2.5 turbo.I know it's a little longer in duration, but advancing the cam about 2or3 degrees puts it pretty close to turbo cam with a couple of degrees later on the closing side.Any Ideas or comments?

·
Helping when I can
1,326 Posts
4Daytonas,

Did you ever get any resolution on this?

I saw a brand new OSJ roller cam for sale on ebay a couple days ago.

Clevite, I think.

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4Daytonas,

Did you ever get any resolution on this?

I saw a brand new OSJ roller cam for sale on ebay a couple days ago.

Clevite, I think.
I'll check it out.I'm not sure if all OSJ cams were the same OS.Cindy says she can get me a custom one later when they make a run.Will get an f2 grind.meanwhile I'm going to try the TBI slider that came with it.

·
Helping when I can
1,326 Posts
I'll check it out.I'm not sure if all OSJ cams were the same OS.Cindy says she can get me a custom one later when they make a run.Will get an f2 grind.meanwhile I'm going to try the TBI slider that came with it.
OK,

Well, this is what I know about factory OSJ cams:

My 85 ChryCo Book lists the spec as .020 over.
The cam on ebay was listed as .020 over.
So I would expect your cam to MIC out at .020 over as well.

Here's a link to a $50 OSJ Turbo Slider in case your N/A cam is worn at all:

OSJ Turbo Slider Cam

Factory Spec for your reference:

I hope this helps somewhat.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
you can use NA cams in turbo engines. Years ago I was considered insane for installing a TBI cam in a turbo engine and that it wouldn't work, BS. The problem is the slider will not get the vac at idle or cruize and you'll chew more fuel, don't care? Run the cam you have. All the stock NA cams are so small it doesn't much matter. Another example maybe? The SRT 4 2.4 cams are the exact same as the NA 2.4 cams on a new engine no less.

Go to a rebuilder that rebuilds engines. Normally shops like that can buy regrinds with OSJ cheap. I would go with a 88 OSJ TBI roller cam and go from there. It is a PITA but they weld up the surface and then grind it down like the lobes. I am not a fan, I don't think there is many fans of this. Then the OSJ actual size can differ between the different cams. So one OSJ cam is not one size fits all, don't buy one as it says that thinking it is the same size. I would take the cam to a rebuilder, you can get a regrind of something different pretty cheap I bet.

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
you can use NA cams in turbo engines. Years ago I was considered insane for installing a TBI cam in a turbo engine and that it wouldn't work, BS. The problem is the slider will not get the vac at idle or cruize and you'll chew more fuel, don't care? Run the cam you have. All the stock NA cams are so small it doesn't much matter. Another example maybe? The SRT 4 2.4 cams are the exact same as the NA 2.4 cams on a new engine no less.

Go to a rebuilder that rebuilds engines. Normally shops like that can buy regrinds with OSJ cheap. I would go with a 88 OSJ TBI roller cam and go from there. It is a PITA but they weld up the surface and then grind it down like the lobes. I am not a fan, I don't think there is many fans of this. Then the OSJ actual size can differ between the different cams. So one OSJ cam is not one size fits all, don't buy one as it says that thinking it is the same size. I would take the cam to a rebuilder, you can get a regrind of something different pretty cheap I bet.
I do not want an 88TBI roller.I at least want the 85 Turbo specs.Gonna try the tbi slider and get the new turbo one on ebay. then I'll get an F2 roller from Cindy when they make a run.All those reduced timing specs are for engine smoothness.I've got a2.5+.5mm and I don't want one of those tiny cams in it.I understand the 88TBI works best with a lot of boost but I'm only going to run 18-20 lbs.I'm not building a racer or a gas mileage king. I just would like to have a street car that will run mid to high 13s.My 84 gets 30 mpg and my78 Challenger gets35mpg and my racer goes 9.30s 141.so I just want a semi fast cruiser for fun on weekends or whatever.I'm retired ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK,

Well, this is what I know about factory OSJ cams:

My 85 ChryCo Book lists the spec as .020 over.
The cam on ebay was listed as .020 over.
So I would expect your cam to MIC out at .020 over as well.

Here's a link to a $50 OSJ Turbo Slider in case your N/A cam is worn at all:

OSJ Turbo Slider Cam

Factory Spec for your reference:

I hope this helps somewhat.
Thanks a bunch. You're the only one I got any help from. I put in a bid,Will pay full if I have to!! thanks again.I searched ebay everyway I could think of and still never found that cam.Before I read the thread and used your hot link I couldn't even find it using the item number. Thanks again!!!

·
Helping when I can
1,326 Posts
Thanks a bunch. You're the only one I got any help from. I put in a bid,Will pay full if I have to!! thanks again.I searched ebay everyway I could think of and still never found that cam.Before I read the thread and used your hot link I couldn't even find it using the item number. Thanks again!!!
I'm glad I could help out:cool:

Remember to post back and let us know how it works out:)

·
Helping when I can
1,326 Posts
Looks like he accepted your offer. I gotta ask.... whats with the 18 cents?:D

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
N/A cams have longer duration and overlap than turbo cams do, there not "tiny"
88 TBI cams are 238 degrees 2.5 Turbo cams are 228Degrees Turbo sliders are 240 degrees with 20 Degrees OL seems to me 228 is pretty "little" compared to 240. Super 60 is 260 with 36 degrees OL.True TBI sliders are 244 with 24 OL That's why I want to try one.If I don't like any of the stuff I've got then I'll have Cindy do me an OSJ F2 roller.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
88 TBI cams are 238 degrees 2.5 Turbo cams are 228Degrees Turbo sliders are 240 degrees with 20 Degrees OL seems to me 228 is pretty "little" compared to 240. Super 60 is 260 with 36 degrees OL.True TBI sliders are 244 with 24 OL That's why I want to try one.If I don't like any of the stuff I've got then I'll have Cindy do me an OSJ F2 roller.
How about a 460 lift cam vs the 430s. Then add 240 intake and 248 duration on the exhaust. Then 24 degrees OL. MP 767 NA slider, if you like sliders on turbo engines I've used this one many times and like it. If your running a log intake T1 the engine will love this cam. Dirt cheap to buy brand new and use PT lifters, which is why I've been running them. but they eat more fuel so mine may come out, just hard cause I like the way the car runs. The cylinder pressure is up and the little more exhaust duration aids spool up :)

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How about a 460 lift cam vs the 430s. Then add 240 intake and 248 duration on the exhaust. Then 24 degrees OL. MP 767 NA slider, if you like sliders on turbo engines I've used this one many times and like it. If your running a log intake T1 the engine will love this cam. Dirt cheap to buy brand new and use PT lifters, which is why I've been running them. but they eat more fuel so mine may come out, just hard cause I like the way the car runs. The cylinder pressure is up and the little more exhaust duration aids spool up :)
I agree this is very close to the tbi slider except for .030 more lift.sounds like you hit it pretty good!Also don't remember for sure but I think this is also close to an F2.Also this is a 2.5 blow through

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
I've run the 767 in

85 T1 turbo auto
84 HO NA
89 turbo 2.5
86 T2 turbo

Success in all of them, they just use more fuel. The 767 just runs a little better than the 314 I think because the 314 is advanced for low RPM power. The 767 lets the log rev.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts