Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an overheating problem.I am not leaking any water/antifreeze though.I had the radiator flushed and I replaced every single radiator/heater hose in the engine bay. I also replaced the thermostat. If I let the car warm up to operating temp it shoots straight up almost to hot and then if I pull up on the lever on my radiator cap it goes back down and will operate at normal temperature until I let it sit for about an hour or so then I have to do the same thing. There is no oil in the water or vice versa. When I did the clutch on my car I forgot to snap a pic of my heater control valve so When I put the car all back together I kinda guessed where every hose went. Does anyone have a diagram of how its supposed to be hooked up? or Maybe even a PICTURE of their heater control valve? It's an 89 daytona shelby turbo II so I need a pic of one 87 or up i think. oh another thing- If I run the car without the radiator cap on and it hits operating temp then it shoots water up all over my engine like old faithful! which makes me believe I have something hooked up wrong because none of my other vehicles do that. I'll take a pic of how I have it hooked up tomorrow if the weather is decent. THANKS GUYS!!!

p.s. I didnt replace the radiator cap but all was well before I did my clutch. Could it be the cap???

·
Administrator
25,540 Posts
Sounds more like you have air in the system.
When the engine is cold remove the radiator cap and the hex plug(5/16" hex) in the head behind the thermostat housing.
Slowly fill the radiator until the coolant level stays level with the top of the opening in the head.
Reinstall the hex plug and fill the radiator and overflow bottle.

You will need a good hex bit socket and ratchet to remove the plug.

I will look in my FSM for a pic of the heater control valve and the hose routing.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks NAJ for the tips and that diagram is AWESOME however I have one of the heads that does not have the hex head behind the thermostat. I dont know if you can see it in this pic but I dont have one. I have another head that does but this one for some reason just doesnt... I have gotten all the air out of the system before by leaving the radiator cap off and bleeding it that way but it keeps on doing this crap. Idk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just looked at my hcv and according to that diagram I hooked up the hoses correctly so I really dont know what to do.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
the heater hoses are the bypass on these cars there must be flow through them while warming up. if there is no flow it will overheat. could be violant too.

by chance is the thermostat new and not installed backwards.

you can bleed the air out by removing the coolant sensor since you don't have the plug
Tim

·
Administrator
25,540 Posts
Looking at the pic I am "assuming" it was put together properly so there is no issues with the head sealing.
If you have not already done so you can drill a 1/16" bleed hole in the T-Stat flange and install the T-Stat so the hole is at the 12 o'clock position.
This will accomplish two things.
1)Allow the system to bleed itself
2)Lesson thermal shock to the head when the T-Stat opens.
Also be sure you have the proper water pump installed.
Not sure what year they changed but the older pumps flowed in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Without the hex head, you can also jack the car up in the front or park on an uphill incline. With the rad cap off, idle the car with defroster on max until coolant almost starts to drip over the filler neck. If there is air in the waterbox, you should see it bubble out. Once the coolant level reached the lip of the filler neck, replace rad cap.

I drain my radiators and freshen my coolant every 20K miles and never have any temp spikes after refill using this method.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The thermostat is installed correctly I put it in just look the previous one that always worked. I did basically everything by the book. I'm definitely gonna try both of those methods if bleeding it again doesnt work. thanks guys. if this doesnt work then I'm absolutely stumped.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright I ran some radiator flush in the car ,installed a new thermostat and gasket and bled the system like you guys said and IT WORKED! awesome thanks guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts