Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 CSX (#550) the car is running hot at freeway speed. All is well at idle and stop and go, but once I get on the freeway the temp starts creeping and will reach he second line before H on the temp gauge after about 20 minutes of steady speed.

At idle and stop-and-go the fan kicks in normally and keeps the temp around the midrange.

I recently replaced the thermostat and the radiator has been rebuilt. I am running a 40/60 mix of antifreeze and just dumped in a bottle of Water Wetter in an attempt to cool this thing down - but is still running hot.

I also flushed the system before installing the fresh coolant. I have tried everything short of hardwiring the fan. :bang head

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
blown headgasket?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Try to get the car up to temperature and rub your hand across the face of the radiator and feel for even temperature dispersion- cold vs hot spots. Also factory gauges are notorious for inaccurate readings so you might want to hook up an aftermarket gauge. Everytime I've had the the problem you describe it's been a bum radiator. I know you've had yours rebuilt, but... Blown headgasket is possible too. Hope this helps. Keep us posted. G.P.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks, I'll do some more checking.

I have been seeing in other threads something about a fitting in the head to bleed the cooling system. Where is this located? Is this a big deal for this engine? T1 2.2

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'd think if it was a blown headgasket it'd be puking coolant into the overflow tank and you'd see bubbling in the radiator with the cap off. My guess is the radiator shop gave you a bum recore job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts