Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 2500 cummings With normal driving , not towing ,temps are ok, but I can fluctuate the temp from just below the half way mark to just over the mark by hitting 1100d. on the pyrometera few times, and it rises in a matter of 20-30 seconds. while towing my 34' 5th whl, any grade of say a couple miles will send the temps over the hot mark, and into the red if I don't let off. I drive this thing like I have a egg under the pedal, o.d. locked out when required. It has gone to red a couple times when I could not stop where I was. Found a leaking injector on the last incident and replaced it, but it still runs hot. Also I've had radiator checked for cool spots, changed thermostat, fan clutch, coolant, rad. cap. I need some serious imput, Its dune season and I'm stuck at home. Please HELP. Thanks, One Hot Diesel
1999 DODGE2500, 410'S, BANKS TLC SYSTEM, 4" EXHAUST, ATS EXHAUST MANIFOLD, K&N FILTER, 285/75 TIRES

·
Registered
60 Posts
did u have the rad cleaned there bad for the vent tube to leak oil and it then the fan throws it into the rad and pluggs them up...the only thing u can do for that is get a good degreaser and pressure wash the rad...hope this helps..and id also loose the k&n filter...i hear from lots of guys that the diesels suck the oil right out of the filter and suck the dirt into the motor with it...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Keep me posted, I have a 98.5 24valve and it has been running hot lately as well.
Never got above 190 before, a few times I was doing 75-80 on the freeway temp
got into the red. Never did that before, even when I was pulling a loaded trailer through
the mountains pushing 1100-1200 degrees egt up some of the hills.

·
Administrator
24,827 Posts
NO: 07-08-98
SUBJECT: Diesel Engine Overheating
DATE: Dec. 11, 1998
NOTE: THIS INFORMATION APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 24 VALVE CUMMINS DIESEL ENGINE WITH AN ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER (ESN) 56512007 OR PRIOR.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some vehicles may overheat or run hotter than normal. In some cases DTC P0217 - DECREASED ENGINE PERFORMANCE DUE TO ENGINE OVERHEAT may be set.

DIAGNOSIS:
If a vehicle is brought in for an overheat condition, check the ESN to determine if the engine falls within the build range. If it does not, continue with normal cooling system diagnostics listed in the appropriate service manual. If it does fall within the range, perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty Part No. Description
1 05015090AA Thermostat

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
This bulletin involves replacing the thermostat with a revised part.

Replace the thermostat with p/n 05015090AA following all service manual Cautions, Warnings, and procedures.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Op. No. Time
07-40-01-92 0.4 Hrs.

FAILURE CODE:
Code Description
P8 New Part

ENGINE IDENTIFICATION
ENGINE DATA PLATE
The engine data plate contains specific information that is helpful to servicing and obtaining parts for the engine. The data plate is located on the left side of the engine, affixed to the gear housing. Information that can be found on the data plate includes:

Date of Engine Manufacture
Engine Serial Number
Control Parts List (CPL)
Engine Rated Horsepower
Engine Firing Order
Engine Displacement
Valve Lash Reset Specifications
ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER
If the engine data plate is missing or not legible, the engine serial number is used for engine identification. The engine serial number is stamped on the right side of the block, on top of the oil cooler cavity Engine Serial Number Location

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see my engine I.D. falls into the number range for the replacement of the thermostat, will follow up after replacement & test drive> thanks,

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I am going to move this to a section where it will get better Diesel specific attention. :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did , but I received another reply, from "naj" indicated that dodge had a replacement thermostat for the origional, so I ordered that. Just trying all options.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
I see, let me know how that works out. I bought a new thermostat from Ausozone,
but I did not install it yet. What about low fuel pressure. I know my injector pump
is weak because my tuck cuts out when I get on it, my neighbors did the same thing
and he took his to the dealer and he needed a new injector pump. I wonder if that
could cause a lean condition and cause it to run hot under load.

·
Administrator
24,827 Posts
I do not work on diesels but I checked on TSB,s and found that one.There is also another for "Engine Knocking or Rattling while Towing" which is the same fix.
Good Luck,hope it works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 02 Cummings Is Also Running Hot I Have Tried Different Stats Including The Dealers.i Also Have Replaced The Fan Clutch And The Radiator Rod Out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I Dont Run A Stat My Radiator Is Evenly Heated. When I Run With The Stat My Truck Runs Hot And The Radiator Has Cold Spots.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
That doesnt seem to add up. Mabey the water pump is weak and can pump the water correctly with the restriction of a thermostat.

The uneven heating of the radiator is odd especially since you rodded it out.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have a 93 D250 3/4 ton (518 tranny)and it came with a dealer installed extra radiator under the bed on the drivers side in front of rear wheel,and mine never gets hot even when I tow up hills,it has a heat switch when tranny fluid get a certain temp and turns on,boy it is great.Check with the Dodge dealer and see what and if you can have one installed. Good luck:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FYI Note. If you change your own coolant, make sure you Purge the air from the head, as air can get trapped creating a hot spot, cracking head,overheating, engine failure,ect...

·
Registered
669 Posts
Just in case, the 5.9 Cummins can use one of two thremostats. The original Cummins replacement has a larger opening, which allows more coolant to flow through it. The replacements you buy at Autozone, Car Quest, ect, have a smaller opening. The original equipment Cummins thermostat is almost twice as large at the opening. Not that it will help you out, but it might be worth looking into. My stock thermostat started going bad on my 01 and I changed it out for a Car Quest piece. I have no over heating issues, and the smaller openinng really helps out a ton with engine temps in the winter. The temp is much more stable. Cummins speced the cooling systems out to be massive, for when the trucks are pulling at their max ratings. Under normal driving, the radiator is over kill, especially in the winter. Whenever my engine's original t-stat opened up, in the winter, the gauge would take a nose dive, and then take forever to get back up to 180-190. Not loaded, of course.

Regardless, it might be worth checking into if everything seems fine. Right off hand, I don't know if the Dodge replacement t-stats, available at the dealer, are the larger opening or not.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts