Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any guides posted as to what axles are interchangable between body styles?

I need some info on the P body. 88 turbo auto driver's-side axle to be exact. Are these axles interchangable with, say, a post 86 Daytona?

I've been to Donovan's site, and he lists a bunch of models that interchange, be doesn't state "yay" or "nay" as to if the P body axles do.

Thanks for any info,

Paul

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
No, they're not interchangable with a post '86 Daytona.

The Daytona axle will have small splines on the inside end (tranny end), while your Shadow will have large splines. Anything pre '87 has small splines, anything post has large splines (not sure when L-bodies went large spline, though, if ever).

So you'll need an '88 up axle from any K, J, P, G, H body. L and S body axles are specific to the body style (L is shorter, S is longer). I think the Dynasty body (whatever body that is) is specific too.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks lametec...when I said "post 86", I meant anything "after 86", sorry for the confusion.

Donovan's site lists:

"In 1987 Chrysler upgraded axles in all but the L-bodies to a larger, heavier splined axle (both automatics and manual transmissions)

83-86 small spline axles (weaker)
87-93 large spline axles (best)

All years had the same spline on the outer end of the axle (at the brake rotor)
Just the inner spline changed as better transmission were produced.

All G/H/K/J/AA/E axles are 100% interchangeable between bodies and years except for the years noted above due to spline changes on the transaxle differential end. The axles were made by several vendors over the years with the turbo cars having the strongest ones.

Automatic and manual transmission axles are 100% interchangeable as well."

I don't see where it states anything about P-bodies??

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Oh.. Duh. Yeah.. Pre, post.. I should get my words, right, huh?

Not sure why I thought pre when you said post. :)

Gary must have forgotten to include P-bodies, since they're the same as the other ones. I myself forgot to mention the A (AA) body. :) I also didn't mention E-bodies.. Kinda thought they were the same as K-bodies. Guess they're not! Axles still interchange, though.. Oh, and Dynasty's are C-bodies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts