Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not have luck adding this question to my old thread so. on theg wing on a 87 csx is the trailing edge of it saposed to be semi gloss or painted to matc the car? I am trying to get the paint 100% before moving on

TIA

·
Registered
823 Posts
Steve - 100% agree that the spoiler is painted the same black as the body for the 87 CSX, but not with the "normal Shadow ES piece installed by Chrysler" comment.

I bought a brand new 87 Shadow ES and it didn't come with a rear spoiler and I've seen 87 Shadow ES literature that shows the cars without a rear spoiler too. So unless Chrysler added the spoiler later in the model year, I'm pretty sure the 87's never came with a rear spoiler - except for the CSX's that is. Also, the "normal" spoiler on all 88 Shadow's (and maybe other years too) was two tone - front part was body color and back part was flat black.

I know you've got tons of literature - have any with an 87 Shadow that has a wing?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
jonnyb

Well you learn something new all the time.

You are right the 1987 Dealer Advance Order book makes no mention of an ES spoiler.

The 1988 Dealer Advance Order book mentions & shows the spoiler for the ES but doesn't list it under the changes for 1988 category.

So I'm thinking that possibly the spoiler was added as a mid year change in 1987.

I no longer own a 87 CSX so I can't just go outside and look but if someone wants to post a pic of their 1987 CSX fender tag we can see if the code for the spoiler might be listed.

Steve

·
Registered
823 Posts
ok so is the csx 2 tone or not ? I want it right becouse it looks good ether way.
The 87 CSX rear hatch spoiler is all one color - the same glossy black as the body (don't know the paint code off the top of my head).

Steve - I always thought that Shelby put the wing on the CSX first, and then it became a production item - sort of like the 2 piece intake on the 86 GLHS. It was something that Chrysler was developing, but Shelby got to throw it on a model year in advance. However, with the documentation you have, the mid-year introduction theory sounds like the correct answer - whether or not it had any correlation with the CSX is still an interesting question though...I'll have to take a peek at the core support tag on my 87 CSX and see if the code is there. Do you know where the code would be located on the tag and what it would be for a rear spoiler?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
johnnyb I don't know what the option code would be without doing some research.

I don't recall Shelby Automobiles installing the 1987 CSX rear wing and the Shelby CSX service manual supplement makes no mention of this spoiler being installed at Whittier.

So I guess we need to start locating some 1987 Shadow ES cars and see if any of them have the spoiler.

The DC Shadow from around 86/87 had this spoiler which leads me to believe it was in the plans.

Steve

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool all one color is easy to do thanks I am trying to get ready for the classic and sdac as well. I want to get some mods doen as well since Chriss will be dynoing at Sdac.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Steve,

The '87 Shadow brochure does not show a wing on the ES model; nor, have I personally seen an '87 ES with a wing.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
glhcsx364 said:
Steve,

The '87 Shadow brochure does not show a wing on the ES model; nor, have I personally seen an '87 ES with a wing.
Yeah the couple different brochures I have for 1987 don't show it either.

Going by the Shelby Vin List it looks like Shelby Automobiles didn't get the wings until late June which is pretty much the time Chrysler would have shut down the P body line for 1987 cars which most likely suggests that indeed no 1987 Shadow ES cars received the wing.

Unless the 1987 CSX cars were the last P bodies built by Chrysler for 1987 and Chrysler did install them on the line. Don't know for sure.

Anybody want to post his or her fender tag and/or build sheet?

With that we can tell for sure if it was Chrysler or Shelby that installed them.

Steve

·
Registered
328 Posts
Not to say they didn't have them, I don' t believe I have seen an 87 with a wing except for the CSXs.

I was under the impression Shelby recieved them first then it was on to the 88's which then did get them.

Slightly off the 87 topic but, I have also seen 88 ES's without the wing, never took much notice to it back in the day. (I never saw an 89-up with out it). Was it a phase in for the 88's or are all of them supposed to have it?? Or could you delete the wing as an option?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
TheRedCSX said:
Slightly off the 87 topic but, I have also seen 88 ES's without the wing, never took much notice to it back in the day. (I never saw an 89-up with out it). Was it a phase in for the 88's or are all of them supposed to have it?? Or could you delete the wing as an option?
Well we know the wings were around in June 1987 for use on the 1987 CSX cars so I would think that all 1988 ES's should have had them.

They are shown in the dealer advance order book for 1988 cars which is printed in the spring of 1987 and also in the 1988 dealer brochure which too is printed way in advance.

As I mentioned the other day this wing was on the Direct Connection Shadow from 1986 so it was planned in advance and does not appear to be a Shelby piece.

I don't see anything in the ordering books about the wing being a delete option but that doesn't mean it couldn't have been done.

Steve

·
Registered
823 Posts
A couple things here...

I don't think the rear wing on the DC Shadow is the same as the CSX/ES wing. I'm pretty sure it was very similar, but slightly more agressive (a little taller and ran a little further off the back of the car).

The other thing is that I question whether Shelby got the ES version of the Shadows for the 87 CSX - there were many differences between the ES version and the literature describing changes made by Shelby. For instance, I've never read that he put a different hood on, but the 87 ES's had vented hoods. Also, did he strip the ES ground effects and put the CSX ground effects on?

I'm pretty sure that he started the 89 CSX with base model Shadow and a Sundance grill - what's the possibility that he started the 87's with a base model Shadow and some wacky combination parts as well (including a "soon to be released" rear wing and non-vented bulge hood)?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
A 'P' body with a vented hood?? No such animal that I know of.

There were two hoods. One flat and one with the turbo bulge.

Yes I agree that the DC Shadow wing was probably a little different being that it was a pre-production wing. What I was trying to say is that Chrysler designers had a wing in the works for a 'P' body.

Steve

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
88's had them, 87's did not. I bought an 87 Sundance. I looked extensively at them all at that point in tiime. My choice came down to a charcoal 4 door 5 sp turbo or a white Shadow es auto. I chose the 5sp.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
jonnyb said:
We now have another 'P' body mystery.

The Shadow brochures don't show a vented hood.

The dealer ordering books don't show a vented hood.

The Chrysler parts books don't show a vented hood.

I don't recall ever seeing a vented 'P' body hood in person.

Though you do have a magazine photo that shows a vented 'P' body hood. But you also have to admit that magazine preview picture is from early 1986.

So does anybody have an actual photo from ebay, the web, SDAC convention, junkyard, etc showing a vented 'P' body hood?

I would like to know if my memory is fading or as the Chrysler literature shows there was no vented hood on regular turbo production cars sold to the general public.

Pics??? Anybody???

Steve

·
Registered
834 Posts
Wow that picture is wierd. Its a really cool hood I have never ever seen a Vented P-body hood. Now I will have to look a lot closer!
Wouldve been really cool if it made it into production but most likely the car was a pre-production Magazine press release car that was still in the final stages of going from a prototype to a production vehicle.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
boostboy said:
Wow that picture is wierd. Its a reall cool hood I have never ever seen a Vented P-body hood. Now I will have to look a lot closer!
Wouldve been really cool if it made it into production but most likely the car was a pre-production Magazine press release car that was still in the final stages of going from a prototype to a production vehicle.
Thanks Boostboy as I was starting to question my memory.

Makes you wonder why almost every other turbo car received a vented hood but not the P bodies.

Steve

1 - 20 of 21 Posts