Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just get through a new radiator, heater valve, heater lines install and the AIS is acting up :bang head:
Here's what happens
Cold start, van starts ok then revs to bout 2 grand and if I shut of Van and restart it may be ok, may not.
Some have said AIS is bad-checked wiring =ok
Is this a dealer only item?
Mine is rusted-the torx screws are junk
So I may have to remove throttle body to access...
When I remove TB., do I need gaskets??
:bang head
I love my van right now.....:eek:

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Try nice sharp new needle nose vice grips on the head. Worst case scenario take out tb drillout the bolt heads(10 min tops) clean it out with a new gasket for the tb.

·
Administrator
24,830 Posts
Remove the throttle body and yes replace the gasket.
Chrysler used loctite on the AIS and TPS screws so with a micro-torch lightly heat the area around the screws. That will loosen the loctite and the screws will come out.
Before replacing the AIS be sure the throttle plate and AIS are clean and reset AIS and base idle as outlined in the "sticky","help with poor idle" in the "help" section.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Before replacing the AIS be sure the throttle plate and AIS are clean and reset AIS and base idle as outlined in the "sticky","help with poor idle" in the "help" section.
Na is the
MR DIAGNOSTIC

Waste a can of tb cleaner on it before looking for a new one. And use a glove on your hand.

·
Administrator
24,830 Posts
Thank You!!!
AIS and idle concerns seem to be the theme of the week.I just answed another one that just showed up in the help section.

·
Administrator
24,830 Posts
sorry it is in this section

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Na is the
MR DIAGNOSTIC

+1!
Yea NAJ, you sooo rock, I followed your help sticky re: resetting the AIS and it seems to work awesome.
The only prob I have is the idle screw IS capped.
So, I figured Id ASK here how to destroy the cap before I break anything else!:bash:
THANKS again for sharing your TD knowledge, you are a HUGE asset here
Scott

·
Registered
287 Posts
Try nice sharp new needle nose vice grips on the head. Worst case scenario take out tb drillout the bolt heads(10 min tops) clean it out with a new gasket for the tb.
You could also try to slot the screw heads with a dremel. Then spray them with P'blaster. Let it soak in a little while and then put a screwdriver in the slot and rap the screwdriver with a hammer a few times to loosen the rust. Hopefully they will come right out after that.
Frank H.

·
Administrator
24,830 Posts
THANK YOU!!!!
I usually do not have a problem removing the cap.I use a sharp pick and tap it in on the side and use the pick as a lever and it will usually move and come out.
The cap is only there because Chrysler says that the idle speed is "not adjustable" and if it is out of specs replace the throttle body.I guess they did not expect anybody to keep thier vehicles past 75 k and have the engine wear which will lower vacuum which will lower idle speed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts