Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am repainting a few panels on my car that have the typical clear coat fade and I need a little expert advice. I have been practicing on a smaller piece to make sure I have it all right and the clear coat is the only thing that has given me problems. The paint shop suggested that I use some laquer based acrylic clear coat. Is this correct? I applied two light coats of clear to my test piece first, and then followed it up with three heavy coats applied every fifteen minutes (as per the advice of the paint shop) After I was done applying the clear, the piece actually looked really good. I let it dry for about 24 hrs and came back and it stilled looked good, but a little dust had settled on it after I took it out into the open. Even though it was dry to the touch, I was reluctant to wipe off the dust in fear that the clear hadn't dried completely yet but I did it anyway. I used a damp cotton cloth and wiped the dust off and it looks like the dust still managed to scratch the clear coat a little. So my question is what should I have done. Is the clear coat the right type? Should I have let it dry longer before attempting to touch it? I know paint technically takes days to dry completly but I am unsure how to treat it while I wait. After it dries, what should I use to buff it and how long should I wait beore trying to buff it? Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I myself wouldve used a urethane based base coat/clear coat system because I always found laquer not durable enough against UV rays of the sun,plus later on,it may start to crack or fade.If its only a little bit of dust or dirt specs,wait a couple of days(a week or 2 to be safe)and wetsand it with 1200 grit Meguiars paper(use water with a drop of dishsoap) followed by 2000 grit.To buff it,I recommend 3M Perfect It III compound using a foam pad,followed by 3MPerfect Swirl Remover using a soft black foam pad..I have used 3M for along time and the results are good on urethane,not sure about the paint you used.Hope this helps.:D

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to clear the car tomorrow and let it sit for about four or five days before I try to touch it. I am planning on dragging it down to Vegas for MATS next weekend so I want it to look good. I may wait until I get back to wetsand and buff the clear though. Is that going to hurt anything?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey Turbo224 I will be coming down to Vegas next weekend in my 92 Iroc RT if you see my car look for me. I would love to meet you in person. By the way there are a few local guys coming down to Vegas. I hope to have my new wheels on by then. I hope you bring your car that would be cool.

Ed C.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Turbo224 I will be coming down to Vegas next weekend in my 92 Iroc RT if you see my car look for me. I would love to meet you in person. By the way there are a few local guys coming down to Vegas. I hope to have my new wheels on by then. I hope you bring your car that would be cool.

Ed C.
Cool! I dont think I have ever seen an IROC R/T down there. Mine will be there for sure, it just may have clattering lifters..... (waiting on new lifters in th mail as we speak) I am going to trailer my car down there and probably let it sit in the show while I do my thing. I usually end up hanging around the "unofficial" turbo dodge pit area for those that drag race. Im sure I will track you down if I see another R/T. I will be the tall skinny (and probably pasty white) guy ridding a long board around if that helps ya spot me. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Excellent !!!! I will be driving my car down from Souther California hopefully sporting some new shoes that like your lifters should be in the mail. By the way what's your name? This will my first time out to this event, according to the group I'm part of this event is more geared to the muscle cars.

Ed C.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent !!!! I will be driving my car down from Souther California hopefully sporting some new shoes that like your lifters should be in the mail. By the way what's your name? This will my first time out to this event, according to the group I'm part of this event is more geared to the muscle cars.

Ed C.
My name is Tyler. :) Yeah, this is definitely geared towards the muscle car guys. Infact, if it wasn't for Boyd and his 11 second Omni, I doubt anyone would pay attention to us. However he is the crowd favorite by far when it comes to the races. There has also been a guy named Kenny in an 11 second srt4 that got some attention a few years back. Im sure there will be more and more nice TD's as this show draws more people. What color is your R/T btw?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Great Tyler I'll keep an eye out for your car. Speaking os Boyd, yes he is one of the guys on my group that I will be down there with. My car is red and I'm thinking of taking of the louvers so it may have them on or maybe not. Any how I am looking forward to watching Boyd put us turbo Dodge guys on the map with his ugly old Omni. I wish I could run my car but heck I don't know how to drag my car.

Ed C.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome! I am starting to get excited now! Although I have a lot of work that I need to get done before I leave!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts