Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright Im in the process of painting my car...well im sanding atm but anyways. The wings on the side of my car. I need to know how to get them off..

·
Registered
386 Posts
Two things: Are you doing a really really nice, long lasting job? These are easy to paint w/ the side fins on and turn out fine.
If yes and you really want to take them off then there was someone else asking the same thing, getting them off a junkyard car.
its a pain in the ass, essentially you have to take out the rear seats and take off all of the rear paneling. Theres like 3-4 screws holding each in. They run thru the body and are nutted on along the bottom of the rear side windows. Sounds easy, but the paneling is usually brittle and fragile. Usually end up breaking something unless you're extremely careful. Hope that covers it. Just look at the panels, its self explanatory which ones come off first, second, and so forth.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ughh thats what I figured. I will just cope with them on. find some way to sand it with them on.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Use those slim sanding "pads" that you can get from Menards, Lowes, Home Deport. I think they're most commonly used on wood, but get something w/ a 220-320grit and they're really sweet to use in spots like that. It's just much easier on you, trust me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
K well the guy who was going to sprat the car decided to move to another Province so...What I want to do now is ..because the 20 year old paint is in such good shape..I just want to clearcoat it all over again...Do they make clear coat in rattle can? hahaha!

Also ...I went down to primer in a few spots.....Which touch up paint would you suggest?

Shelby Classic Red is the colour of the car...(at least thats what I was told) But I am thinking its the Flash Red used from Factory...

·
Helping when I can
1,326 Posts
Do they make clear coat in rattle can? hahaha!

Also ...I went down to primer in a few spots.....Which touch up paint would you suggest?

Shelby Classic Red is the colour of the car...(at least thats what I was told) But I am thinking its the Flash Red used from Factory...
Yes you can get clear in a spray can...

If you went down to primer I don't think you're gonna be 'touching it up'.

Call the local community college and find out if they offer "personal enrichment" courses in auto body. The kind they have on nights and weekends.
By the end of the course you may have a nice paint job - not a "rattle-can in the driveway and looks like @$$" paint job.

My 2 pennies...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Don't rattle can it. You can't, its impossible to rattle can a car, no matter what you're doing and make it look good.
Just get it done right. I do agree w/ Screamin, I had one of mine painted at the community college. Only problem is I don't know if your colleges are the same as the one here, but they only do vehicles w/in like 5-6yrs old. I was lucky enough to know one of the guys that I convinced him into allowing a friend of mine (in the program) to paint it. Only cost like $300

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what local college? :p We don't have one....the closest we have here is body shops.....expensive ones :p What about an Electric Spray gun..I heard you can use one...I actually read about it...They are inexpensive.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Electric spray gun will lay it on too thick.
i've seen roller done on a strictly off road use Blazer, turned out like crap. Don't half ass it. It'll look worse than leaving it alone.

·
Registered
467 Posts
This is how it should be painted:
http://a439.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/106/l_f9eaa82c99470dfe999216b33e2344f6.jpg

See here: http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f8/f34/132870-body-work-begins.html

For a QUALITY paint job the only acceptable tape is that back taping an open hole. You tape off that rear spoiler extension and paint over it then the paint has a hard line where the tape was. Odds are extrememly high that it will start to peel there with-in a couple years.

I would not say you have to go as far as I did, but you should definately go a little farther. Jesse works at the same body shop as I do (different location, same company), and he painted his Omni not that long ago, and did a really nice job.
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f8/f34/132367-fresh-paint-my-gold-glh.html

Don't half ass paint work.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yea guy....apparently you didn't read any of this thread.
He's been either talking about rattle canning it, rolling it, or electric spraying it. Where did you come from w/ the tearing the car apart idea!?
I think the point of this thread is painting (cheap job) and need help....not bring my car somewhere and have someone else paint it. :D

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yeah, I stopped when he said he was going to leave the the spoiler extentions on...
Half ass paint work really bugs me...If you aren't going to do it right, why are you going to do it at all?
Do you think the rattle can is going to look better than the faded/peeling crap thats on there now? Atleast now the metal is somewhat protected from the elements. You sand it down and spray over moisture and the car is rusted to nothing by next spring.
It's just dumb.

Strip the car. Find a painter to do it on the side...slide them a couple hundred bucks and some materials and have a nice paint job.
People wonder why these cars are becoming so rare...its because the people that own them aren't willing to spend a couple bucks to keep them nice. It's the same reason we have such lame aftermarket support...Spend a couple bucks and enjoy a nice car!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
LMAO.....I have no comments to that. Not a single person on this site can truthfully disagree w/ that.

So tell us how you really feel, sounds like you're holding back! ;)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yeah, I know it is a regular joke around here that the T.D. people are cheap. But really tho...spend a couple extra bucks, and enjoy the outcome.

I split a $1300 rotisserie with my brother, and spent $300 to get the shell of my car media blasted. With sealer, etch primer, and base primer, I'm out another $300. It's gonna cost another $200 in rocker and patch panels, and I want to get the rest of the panels media blasted (~$300). About another $800 for base, clear, and rubberized undercoating to get the car painted. $2000, give or take, just to get the car painted. Far beyond what any other TD guy would fathom for paint. But when it's done, it will be no less than, Chip Foose, show quality paintwork!!
The estimated budget for the car when I started the disassembly was 3 years and $15,000. It's looking more like 5 years and $18-20,000.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Very nice, I have similar plans on the next TD I get. It will be completely stripped and painted. Everything will be done to it. I'll have the similar 5 yr plan and probably a similar budget. I also plan on some sort of a TII or TIII powerplant in a GenII body w/ the front end and ground effects converted to a GenI TurboZ nose. Should be pretty fantastic. That won't start until Spring/Summer of 2010 at the very earliest.

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
hundred bucks and some materials and have a nice paint job.
People wonder why these cars are becoming so rare...its because the people that own them aren't willing to spend a couple bucks to keep them nice. It's the same reason we have such lame aftermarket support...Spend a couple bucks and enjoy a nice car!!
How far do you go to preserve these cars? This was the first time. Got hit again last Sat on the right rearside about the same.Will fix again! see all at United Mopar Lovers Go to More of our cars album.Tried to post pix,but manage attachments not working, probably just need to restart,but I'm not going to go through this again!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
first of all...Im only 20...I work at a sh*tty job...And Can't afford a 2000 dollar "proper'' paint job. This car is just a POS I am driving around town, so there is no way I am wasting that much money on a paint job that will outlast the mechanical parts on it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
And thats a very good reason. Some of them really aren't worth saving, but its the ones that are that people trash out that piss me off.
On another note cars are just about the worst investment a person could make.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts