Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to rebuild my 555. It has bearing noise when off the clutch Does anyone have the part #s for all the individual bearings? I found a couple of them, but not all. thanks.

·
Administrator
3,953 Posts
Bearing noise off the clutch suggest throwout bearing:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,1989,daytona,2.5l+153cid+l4,1089389,transmission-manual,clutch+release+bearing,1968

Otherwise my check for bad internal bearings is driving on a highway and hanging the left lane near a barrier in 5th, putting some throttle into it to load the trans you will hear bearing noise if you have it. List below credit from a post by ILIKESHELBYS, this requires pretty much a trans rebuild:

Parts for rebuilding A525, A520, A555 (maybe others)

BEARINGS
The following bearing numbers are BCA #'s:

*Input shaft BCA A4 and BCA A5 (1 EACH) COMES WITH RACES
*Differential BCA A18 (NEED 2)
*Intermediate shaft INNER BEARING THAT PRESSES INTO CASE; BCA 5707, Koyo RNO70618-6, Mopar 4202590, Torrington DB-67309 (1 needed)
*Outer intermediate shaft bearing, Mopar #4348 270

SEALS
*axle seals mopar #4412 522 or AdvanceAutoParts #3459
*Input shaft seal Mopar #5222 721 or NAPA #NOS10583

SHIMS
*Input shaft shims for setting preload are available from ratech #1132
*Diff shims are available from transpartsusa: sonnax #39539z5

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A bad throw out bearing will be noticable when you are depressing the clutch, not when you're off the clutch.
I have a good feeling I have a bad input shaft bearing causing end play in the shaft.

Thanks for those numbers. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
A bad throw out bearing will be noticable when you are depressing the clutch, not when you're off the clutch.
I have a good feeling I have a bad input shaft bearing causing end play in the shaft.

I had an issue with my DD 2004 Chrysler Sebring Coupe (Mitsu stepchild). Started at about 130,000 miles. When in neutral (no clutch depressed) a whirling sound was heard, sounding like a bearing going out. Thought maybe it was the throw out bearing but like you said it would only make noise if the clutch was depressed. Turned out it was the clutch springs! At 180,000 I replaced the Chrysler clutch & flywheel with a Mitsubishi clutch & a Fidanza aluminum flywheel. Took it real easy for the first 500 miles to temper the springs. I sure as heck don't miss that whirling noise! :smile2:

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
A rattling noise in neutral is often referred to as "Neutral Synchro Rattle"

Changing fluid normally stops the rattle, especially with a higher viscosity.

The rattle isnt a problem, just an annoyance.

It's also recommended to overfill by about a pint.

This ensures adequate lube to the intermediate shaft bearing.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its funny you mention that ive had my car for about 15 years and its always had that noise in the trans. I did change the fluid about 3 or 4 years ago and the noise almost completely went away, so maybe it is just the syncro rattle and not a bearing. I hear no noises at all when Im driving in any gear.

·
Administrator
3,953 Posts

No worries.

Where the bearing runs on or off the clutch, when it is getting at the end of it's life it will rattle no-load off clutch, and then quiet when you load it on clutch. If it sounds like garbage on the clutch it's ready to explode!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts