Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to safely push 20psi out of a 2.2l turbo, I would also like to take the electronic waste gate off this turbo

·
Registered
856 Posts
the turbo can take 20 PSI. sure. even more than that.

but.

your computer cant.

your fuel injectors cant

your MAP sensor cant read it.

your lack of intercooler can't handle the heat.

and if you try it without accounting for these other things, you will get to meet your pistons face to face realllllyyyyy quickly.

·
Premium Member
8,914 Posts
a properly functioning stock fuel system and ECM etc. will safely allow and provide fuel for boost up to 14 psi;
more than that and you're beyond what the '2-bar' MAP sensor can read,
the ECM won't allow that, and give you an Overboost Fuel Cutoff ..

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
and give you an Overboost Fuel Cutoff ..
I am starting to get used to the cutout as it happens every other week when the seat sticks on my MBC. First 20 times it happen it freaked me out. You are screaming along at WOT, through the gears and then the engine "dies". WTF is your first thought and THEN "Oh ya....right, I remember now...CUTOFF"

·
Administrator
24,114 Posts
I am starting to get used to the cutout as it happens every other week when the seat sticks on my MBC. First 20 times it happen it freaked me out. You are screaming along at WOT, through the gears and then the engine "dies". WTF is your first thought and THEN "Oh ya....right, I remember now...CUTOFF"
And this is the MINIMAL amount of damage you may/will incur if you constantly hit "overboost cutout".

Head Gasket (A) 5-21-10.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,914 Posts
True grainger valve FTW. Though on a stock T2 turbo setting the boost level for 14.5psi and turning off the cutout in the ECU is just as good.
+1 I've been happy with the 'repeatability' of my 'true' G-valve ..

I try to run 13ish psi to give less chance of a transient overboost and resulting Fuel Cutoff ..

well that and a zener ;)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I'd like to hear more about what happened to cause that in your Spirit. Especially if you're from anywhere near St. Louis.

Is it an ES 2.5 turbo?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts