Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned today that I have some sort of vermin living in my car somewhere. I narrowed it to the vent located opposite windshield wiper motor. I removed the screen, heard the thing but can't see it. What's the easiest way to get to this nest?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I learned today that I have some sort of vermin living in my car somewhere. I narrowed it to the vent located opposite windshield wiper motor. I removed the screen, heard the thing but can't see it. What's the easiest way to get to this nest?
First off which car is it that you have this pest living in?You have two vehicles listed in your profile an L body and a G body.

Also whats your ventalation heating system? With or without Air conditioning?

Answering those two questions would help me to help you with your problem a great deal.

The moth ball treatment works in having the pest move out but not to get at it's nest and remove any feces in the system

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
if its a mouse park the car for a few days, set some traps with peanut butter, let the trap snap the neck, then drop the blower motor setup and reach in there and feel for a nest

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
if its a mouse park the car for a few days, set some traps with peanut butter, let the trap snap the neck, then drop the blower motor setup and reach in there and feel for a nest
It will be easier to get a tooth pick and a piece of paper and post an eviction notice.....oh boy. LOL:shrug:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
The eviction notice joke was funny I have to admit that! LOL x2!

But setting all that aside noting that you have a real problem here lets get down to bussiness.

First since your AC is already disconnected we don't have to worry about freon release so your AC core would be left in the system I presume the L bodys heater system is very tight unit to work with, But it is very important to remove the pest it's nest and remove all the droppings its leaving behind as well as the urine which is causing the smell but this is seriously a step that must be done as it does pose a health risk issue everytime you use the heating vent system in your car.

I would remove the center tower where the map light that lights up the storage compartment beneth the ashtray is located the entire section that is...
Next as noted above messages remove the blower motor and the radio cover panel to gain access to the vent system which your going to open up from the bottom of the system this will give you a better chance to get to the nest itself.Unscew the connecting duct work in the front that goes up to the radio area vents,Once you get that open If you have access to a Shop Vac theres where I would use it in the bottom half of the heating system where the vent ducts leading to the vent outlets beside the radio unit once you open it up stick the nozzle in there and see if you can suck it out.
You don't want to touch the droppings or urine trails with your bare hands.
and you should use a dust mask covering your nose and mouth.
If your able to remove the pest and the nest,You will need to clean as much as possible the heater/vent system as best as possible with a really good cleaner and rinseing of the areas affected.
That will help in the smell but most of all reduce/remove the health risk.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I had a mouse chew up the firewall insulation and take up residence in the front windshield cowl. I didn't realize this until I turned on the heater early in the season and it stunk to high hell inside the car. Sure enough, a mouse had died in there and I had to go fish him out. I ended up taking off the front cowl assembly completely and removing his stiff carcus and nest out of there.

After that, I put this herbal stuff in the cowl since moth balls reak and there's enough of that smell at any old car show you go to anyway. It has worked pretty good so far and I haven't had any recurrances.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I had a mouse living in the same place in my 85 that had sat for a couple years. I heard him in there one day, and doused him with brake parts cleaner. Needless to say he didn't make it lol
But theres no way around the tearing down of the heater system to clean it out, a major PITA too

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
another thing to try
bacon grease

we had a mouse in our cottage when I was a kid
my mother tryed for a couple weeks to catch it with a mouse trap and , peanut butter , bird seed and alot of other things

the last night , I think she was about to give up so she didn't put much effort into setting up the trap that night
she simply smeered some bacon grease on the trap and set it in the middile of the frying pan before we called it a night

within a few min after the place was dark and quiet we heard the trap click and presto - no more mouse

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
dealing with mice is just nasty to begin with, i had to take all my insulation out of my turismo and bag it up and trash it, had to put in some spray foam, which is better than the stock insulation in a trash bag LOL

needless to say, found a mouse under the rear speaker dead and had to of been there at least 5-10 years at least, stiffer than a board even when picked up by the tail, havent taken out my dash yet but, after hearing this, i think that may be best LOL

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
you always have to be carefull when cleaning up after rodents - their droppings carry all kinds of nasty stuff that can make you very sick or worse wear a mask & gloves - then shower to wash any dust from the droppings off

deer mice are one of the most dangerous - same goes for racoons

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
as of right know i plan on taking it out of my turismo possibly next week, for some examining and serious cleaning

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
i will use my painters mask LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts