Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finsihed polishing it up, and then I got it all dirty because of the rain.

So naturally I took pictures. :D

I covered the roof, front and rear cowls and the side bumpers down to the bottom, with truck bed liner. I spent all weekend preparing the surface. Nothing fancy. But it looks better than it did before.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Koni Red adjustable Caravan struts with 3.0L Daytona coils for a 1.75 inch drop.

AirLift 'ride adjust' bags, in the back, to make up for the two leaves I removed to lower the rear.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A Pillar Gauge Pod with driving light and manual fan switch. It was made for a Fjord pick up. I had to "adjust" it.

Comfy leather seats I yanked out of a Town and Country. I redid them with memory foam. Very comfy.

Raised floor, with trap doors at both ends, that my fabricator friend made for me. I am going to put a nice foam mattress on there and take a nap. :snore:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All of that, and it only made 136 Whp on Dyno Day with Ed and Mike. :bang head

It REALLY needs a Turbo BAD.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
What did you use for paint on the intake manifold? Or powerdercoated?
Anyways Im betting my new paint job wont last. I was always avoiding powerdercoating because of the jb weld but I dont actually need powerdercoating in the small spots I have jb weld.

Anyways Im assuming your intake manifold has stayed in decent condition for awhile with whatever is done to it?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is a baked on ceramic, with some sorta "special metals" to radiate heat away from whatever it is on, called heat dissipate coating. Pro Strip of Fort Wayne put it on. It actually works too. Even when the engine is really hot, you can stick your finger in the TB, and it is relatively cool.

It's been on there for two years now. It will scratch I am told. I am just careful with it is all. I think it is more durable than powder coat.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nice work dude! But, I really think you are going to hate that liner on the roof come summer time. Nice looking minivan!!!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Phatfoto and baja.

I installed really good, nearly weightless, reflective heat insulation between the roof and headliner. I also injected soft expanding insulating foam, the kind that wont bow window and door frames, into all the airspace between the outer walls and the interior plastic facade. All the cans of foam I used, together weighed only about 10 lbs, and so just the foam by itself weighs less than that.

I also carefully cut, then glued, memory foam, to fill all the dead airspace in the back gate. It didn't weigh the gate down at all. The gate shocks still open it easily and hold it open. The big rear speakers are now nestled in terrific sound insulation, and there are no more cold spots at all. You can barely hear the stereo, when you stand right outside the back gate, even when it is way louder than you could stand it inside.

Now it should be warmer in winter. :thumb: So far so good on that too, because it stays warm inside, for hours instead of minutes after shutdown. It should also stay cooler in the summer for the same reason. I sure hope I don't find out I am FOS on that. :p

The van is definitely now very very quiet inside, and my sound system is way better than I thought it was. I would not recommend touching the roof on a hot day though. :eek: I pity any bird that tries landing on it! :D

I am one happy "dude" :), because my work already seems to be paying off. Now if I could just afford this turbo, a BEGI FMU, waste gate, turbo manifold etc, I would really be in business. It drives and handles really nice. It only has "adequate" power though. Better than stock. But I want more. Good daily driver low boost would be a big improvement.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks good. I just did the roof on mine black also.
Did you use paint or truck bed liner or what?

I just thought of something. You and I will be able to warm food, or heat water, on our roofs while camping come summertime. :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Black rustoleum. Sprayed it on with a old crappy paint gun. It's not the best paint job but looks better than peeling paint and rust.

I think the black paint and the black headliner will cook the inside of the van this summer.

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
All of that, and it only made 136 Whp on Dyno Day with Ed and Mike.
Remember that stock auto whp is ~113. You have made a 23whp gain without digging into the engine and porting things (other than the upper manifold.)

Real dyno numbers mean a lot more than what people _think_ there hp is... You are now in a small group of people on this group that has _actually_ dyno tested their vehicle!

Did you notice any improvement/change from tweaking the spark advance?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Really nice thoughtful work. Dig that intake plumbing & setup, what is made out of?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Black rustoleum. Sprayed it on with a old crappy paint gun. It's not the best paint job but looks better than peeling paint and rust.

I think the black paint and the black headliner will cook the inside of the van this summer.
I hear Rustoleum holds up nicely. Try slipping a sheet of, reflective mylar bubble wrap insulation, between the roof and the headliner. That's what I did two years ago, and the inside of the roof stays much cooler in summer. You can get a roll of it at Home Despot for like $25.00. Couldn't hurt. :D

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Remember that stock auto whp is ~113. You have made a 23whp gain without digging into the engine and porting things (other than the upper manifold.)

Real dyno numbers mean a lot more than what people _think_ there hp is... You are now in a small group of people on this group that has _actually_ dyno tested their vehicle!

Did you notice any improvement/change from tweaking the spark advance?
Thanks Ed. :) I feel a lot better now. I still need a low boost turbo setup though.

I believe Mike's timing advance made a noticeable difference. Better throttle response, with a tad more low to midrange pull, I think. You how how inaccurate the ol'' dynokeester is though.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the compliments cm961, and .... 'crazymadbastard'.. :eek: .. I LOVE that handle! :D

The air duct and baffle mount, was made by Bill Pickleheimer at his AutoArt shop in Fort Wayne Indiana, out of .030 aluminum.

He welded it BION. That's almost like welding aluminum foil.

Bill can make anything. Truly an artist.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.