Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Which Pistons to get?

• Option 1 DIAMOND POWER Pistons and Rings

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Option 2 Sealed Power Pistons and Hastings Rings (Same part No. as Broken one)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of those find something better...

Votes: 1 50.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came to a conclusion on my low compression problem on cylinder 4 89 Daytona with 92 2.5 T1 SBEC swap
20210330_195636.jpg

Problem is I was told it was a stock rebuild but it has been bored over .20 So the stock piston I got won't work.

20210330_201802.jpg

Car is stock so not looking to spend thousands on machine work and forged internals.

Option 1
$29 set of 4 "Cast" Diamond Power "Company in Mexico" pistons

Piston 2.5 L for Dodge Plymouth Caravan Voyager - SIZE 020 | eBay
$17 Rings from same company
Piston Ring For Chrysler Caravan Dakota 2.2 2.5 L SOHC - SIZE 020 | eBay

Option 2 Same part number pistons as one that broke but newer design with Hastings rings

$65 Pistons w/ Rings Fits 89-92 Chrysler Dodge Plymouth LeBaron Voyager 2.5L TURBO | eBay

Option 3 Any ideas? Looks like stock Mahle's are all gone and .20 is probably harder to find.
Which of the first 2 looks better strength wise?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Car is stock so not looking to spend thousands on machine work and forged internals.
Well you managed to break the pistons in stock form, so what makes you think next time will be any different? If you haven't figured it out, hypereutectic pistons are fragile. Like glass if you detonate them. The same thing will happen again and again. Have you considered a different used shortblock, if you can't spring for 'REAL" pistons that will hold up? Even if you bought a std. bore 2.5 turbo with a broken piston or two, you have spares then right? If your budget doesn't allow, just abort, & cut your losses.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well you managed to break the pistons in stock form, so what makes you think next time will be any different? If you haven't figured it out, hypereutectic pistons are fragile. Like glass if you detonate them. The same thing will happen again and again. Have you considered a different used shortblock, if you can't spring for 'REAL" pistons that will hold up? Even if you bought a std. bore 2.5 turbo with a broken piston or two, you have spares then right? If your budget doesn't allow, just abort, & cut your losses.
Um I broke nothing the prev owner dumped 3k into it and the incompetent shop changed the head for no reason. It had a bad misfire so I knew it was a cracked piston due to smoke out the dipstick. It took 4 hours to get the piston out. Supposedly the prev owner overheated it so maybe that's why Cylinder 4 cracked or it's just the Hypercrack pistons nature....

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Called them they want $500 but it's been sitting outside for years. Plus working on a sidewalk getting a lil old to do motor swaps. The head pull was bad enough with the turbo support bracket bolt almost shutting it down...
Your money, your risk to take.

Though I would think putting a piston into the block without machine work is more of a risk to me than dropping in a $500 running engine that's been sitting for years.

Maybe look for other used engines?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
$500 is WAY too much for an engine in unknown condition. Your basically buying a core right, or does this engine come with a warranty? Doubtful, being sarcastic. Yes I realize they have overhead, labor, etc, etc, etc. If I read that correctly, mileage was unknown and they downgraded the part to an X rating. Ad says it runs, tell em to get it running so you can hear it. They won't do that, but that could be used to lower the price. That is no low mile cream puff engine they're selling. For all anyone knows, that engine has a cracked piston or two. $500 gets you most of the way there for a set of NEW forged pistons. That is providing you can accurately determine your engine's current bore size.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may have lucked out. The Ebay $60 pistons and rings look like MAHLE clones. compared to the hypercrack pistons these look awesome. I hope they are real cast not hypers. They even have what looks like a steel strut and every detail looks like the MAHLE's. The broken hyper had a super thick skirt and were obv weak. Any opinion on these and how do i put in the pin? It feels tapered is there a science to this? I'm used to heating pressed pins but these are floating...
20210406_132322.jpg

20210406_132327.jpg

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
These look to have a circlip pin retainer like Mahles.

Mahle has some online vids, it's not that tough.

Best of luck !!!

Thanks
Randy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts