Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so heres what ive done to fix the problem i put in a new relay for the starter i have replaced the harness going down to the starter from the battery i replaced the starter and battery but the car just clicks wont turn over wtf is going on with this damn thing its just problem after problem i just wanna start it with out pushing it. oh i suppose yall need to know what kinda car its an 88 dodge daytona shelby z turbo 2

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ignition switch? im at a total loss here i dont understand the relay is working because the solonid on the starter is clicking at least but it will not turn over. the car ran great this morning i took it to work stoped at the parts store on my way back and it will not start just clicks so we had to push start it to get it home

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thats pretty much all thats left to replace. Does it constantly click or just when you let go of the key and go to turn the key?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have checked the battery cables there good the grounds ive only found a few and there good how many are there and were may i find them at? i could check them all after work tomorrow and let yall know what happened should i still change the ignition switch just in-case i really am getting sick of fixing thisgs on the starting system hoping to just fix it and bedone with that system and move on to fixing others

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I was just wondering if your Alternator is putting out enough voltage to the battery, Your starting issue sorta sounds like the battery hasn't the juice in it to power up the starter? Just a thought.
Also besides the wires having grounds to them there is a ground strap running from the firewall to the fuel rail ( looks like the same ground strap used on radio systems in the dash )

·
Helping when I can
1,326 Posts
Check the adjustment of the ignition switch. I picked up a SC for 150 because it didn't start and it was that the actual switch had moved a little.

When you turn the key, it moves a rod that then moves the switch. If out of adjustment, the rod cannot make the switch go to "Start".

If that checks out, grab your test light or VOM and see where you have voltage and where you do not along the circuit. Don't just throw parts at it hoping to get lucky.

All the best.:cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sounds good i will check the ground strap today after work so there are only 2 main grounds ? also how do i get to the switch i assume drop the coulum like everything else if so some one have some pointers as how to do this with out breaking any thing cuz i cant even get the center horn cover off im afraid in going to break it
but its probably best i drop it any way my coulum has a shit ton of play in it wondering why

·
Administrator
24,996 Posts
Before tearing anything apart lets verify what is clicking and what is missing that is causing the starter to not turn over.

1)Is it the starter itself or the relay that is clicking?

Supply me with that info and I will lead you thru the simple diagnostics for the starter system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts