Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a v6 auto lebaron last week, and when i was driving it today i noticed a problem. now this is the first automatic car i have ever owned, so i am a bit ignorant in their interworkings. i know many of you on here can help me out. i searched but couldnt find any threads relating to my problem. when i give the car gas... say 3/4 to full throttle and whined out a gear the car will bounce off the limiter, shift into the next gear and stay in the next gear. i was on the highway today floored it and it stuck into 3rd (and would not upshift). this is the third time its done it in a week. the car only has 76k miles and the transmission is only two years old, has plenty of fluid and ect. when i stop the car and turn it off, and turn it right back on again the problem is solved and i can continue driving normally. anyone have any ideas for me to check??? it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a 94 landau, 4 spd. from reading here it looks like i should adjust the kickdown cable a little tighter. whats the general thought on this? perhaps i should try resetting the tranny computer?

Almost sounds like it's not engaging O/D. Try reseting the tranny, first remove the black battery cord (I think it's the black) turn the car off-acc on 3 times (I believe), then off, and hold the brake for 1 minute.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
its an OD and is going into limp mode. It goes to 2nd gear and stays there untill you restart the engine. It will go back to normal until it sets a code again. You need to put a scanner onto the blue computer plug near the left side of the dash and pull the trans codes.
Tim

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
If thats the case, there is no kickdown cable, its computer controlled. These transmissions are famous for eating speed sensors. Theres 2 of them and fairly cheap to buy, and easy to replace. I would do that first if you have no access to a code puller!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have no access to a code puller, im used to my good old turbododges with the front back key trick. so are both the parts called speed sensors? ill go pick 2 up. are the both the sensors the same thing? and where are they located at under the hood? i hate to be a pain, but i have no idea. i really do appreciate both of your help.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive been reading the archives and it says that since its a new 4spd it should have an input and output sensor on the front of the tranny, is this correct? i hear they are about 20$ each at autozone.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
it hard to describe things on front wheel drive after growing up on rear wheel drive. On the radiator side of the trans above the wiring harness is the input sensor. The output I'm not sure but I would look from under the car on the front side. The trans don't have many wire hook ups. Most wires to it are in the harness to the shift valve block on the front. The engine codes still can be retrieved with the key. Its just the trans, body, and abs use a differant plug. These computers have never been able to key a code just the engine.
Tim

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just got back from autozone who said they didnt stock the sensors, so it looks like ill be heading to advanced auto. i unplugged the battery to reset the computer. i got on it on a straight onramp, from first to second i got a mean chirp, then it red lined second and sent the car into limp mode and wont shift like before. looks like ill be looking for part numbers now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts