Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am 99% positive that this is a cast crankshaft and not a forged one for a common block, but I would like the experts on this forum to confirm.

I am going to attempt to attach pictures of it.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So after searching threads the ways to tell is if it is cast it will have a 1/16 line on it.

The snout length and diameter are different between the two. I am not sure of the exact length and diameter.

A forged crank has a "smoother" finish then a cast.

And the last is weight.
I found this picture online doing a Google picture search. I take zero credit for it.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
masterjr3333, thank you for posting that picture it helps greatly.

I know that this question has been asked many, many times, but there is not a single post to help me and others with ALL the information in it.

Maybe with everyone's help, we can get all the information between a cast and forged in this post and make this a sticky.

·
Registered
449 Posts
masterjr3333, thank you for posting that picture it helps greatly.

I know that this question has been asked many, many times, but there is not a single post to help me and others with ALL the information in it.

Maybe with everyone's help, we can get all the information between a cast and forged in this post and make this a sticky.
Here is a close up photo of a straightened cast crank. The crank has a thin casting line down the center. As said before the cast crank also has a larger keyed shaft on the front end.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
If you go crank shopping, be aware that a non-common block crank has a different front snout (Oil seal etc) and won't work with the CB front seal housing.

·
Super Moderator
11,684 Posts
and to answer a question from earlier , yes the non common block 87&8 shelby z's (TII's)amoung others had forged cranks

but the glhs chargers and omnis did not

if you look at the three cranks in the pic the cast crank is easy to spot out due to the notch cut in the first counterweight .. the forged crank beside it has a nice smooth counterweight with no notch cut into it

personally I'd like to investigate the 51 pound massi crank

I'd really like to know what that would weigh if it were gun drilled lathed and knife edged

with twice the counterweights there's twice the area to cut material away from and useing a lighter piston and rod than a TII would allow even more to be cut off
( I know the rod throws are narrower .. I'd also like to know if they could be widened to the TII rod width)

if you could remove 1-1 1/2 pounds from each weight and another 2-2 1/2 from every rod journal by drilling it the crank would already be getting really light

.. and maybe another half to one pound off each weight when the crank is knife edged ??

eah 24-28 outta 51 .. not quite so bad but seems a really light estimate eh ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts