Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 85(or so the regy says) shelby charger 2.2 Turbo speedo says 86,000 - don't know if it's accurate. After climbing under and around I have decided the motor and tranny are coming out to be rebuilt. I have been reading as much as I can in the forums but now I'm just confused. Have never owned a turbo car so that just adds to the confusion. So my question's begin 1. Is there a better starting point than another? 2. Do I check for cylinder wall damage and decide on Pistons from there? 3. Is there a good resource for a starting point?

I could continue but hopefully someone understands the delemma.

I'm not takin this to the drag strip but want to get all I can out of it and show the kids and their imports what old school does.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Depends if you are conc3rned with keeping the car original and correct. If not, take the steps to T2 the car (intercooled and blow-thru intake setup) , and open up the exhaust to see big gains, and help the longevity of the motor by staving off the detonation demons with cooler boost temps.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Check out http://www.thedodgegarage.com

You'll find a lot of answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet! The best engine to start with, IMO, would be an '89 and up turbo. However, for just a warmed over rebuild, an '85 turbo is fine. With a sound motor/trans/fuel system, your car should be able to run low 14s in the 1/4mi with a few modifications. You'll own the ricers at the stop lights. ;)

Generally, what I'd do is tear the motor down and bring it to a good machine shop. Have the crank turned .010'' under regardless, install .020'' pistons regardless, have the deck surfaced trued, and have the cyl head rebuilt. You can purchase quality rebuilt turbos from a few different suppliers that cater to the TurboDodge community.

Like I said, check out the Dodge Garage and things will start to make more sense. :)

-Chuck James

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I am only going to try and keep the original and correct look of the car. My thought was to completely rebuild the motor from top to bottom and update as much of it as possible without refinancing the house.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts