Turbo Dodge Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As boring as this is, compared to all the fantastic work you far more expert folks are doing, I thought I would show my new plug wires, hood badge and headlights.

This is my second MSD 8.5 cut and install, and so this time they are not as sloppy as before.

New hood badge and headlights too. .... whoopee ....

OK. You may return to the actually interesting and informative stuff now. :D

· Registered
2,728 Posts
NICE! i wish my engine bay was that clean. Kudos

· Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Shadow. You are too generous. :)

Looking at these pics, I realize I need to center my engine somehow. I still haven't got that right since lowering it. If anybody, knows any tricks about that, then please tell me.

· Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Reaper. :)

Since treating it with Auto-Rx and switching to 5w-20 oil, I am getting 25 mpg now too. And no I am not driving conservatively either. :D We recently moved from Indiana to Vermont. The van was loaded with about 500 lbs., plus our two fat butts, and no problems at all. Ran like a champ. Yes, you bet, we are loving all the fresh air and peace and quiet. :)

· Registered
403 Posts
Hey,Lookin,
Nice work on your ride. I used Taylor wires for a SOHC Stealth. I foolishly thought they would be close to our engines. Well three wires fit, the others were too short, including the coil wire.
After calling the factory, I found they don't make a set & don't sell the plug ends separately. I bought a 30' roll of red wire & reused the ends.
I like the factory ends better than the straights.
If your engine is not centered correctly you will notice a shake or vibration when you make a full lock turn. Either right or left hand(not both).
The too short shaft bottoms & wiggles the front end.
It happened to my new '84 Caravan, the service dept. thought I was nuts. I found the shaft lengths listed in the shop manual. All they did was loosen the eng, mounts & pry the eng. over to correct. Problem solved.
SpeedyEd

· Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi SpeedyEd.

Thanks for the compliment, and thanks a bunch for the centering tips. :)

I think I will try your simple method first. My front sits 1.75 inches lower than stock, and that changed the angle of the axles a bit. I guess I need to fiddle around with the poly mounts and a pry bar. Then hopefully I can move it toward the drivers side, and it will drop in better and level out.

I suppose I need to loosen both mounts, and the front one also, right?

I am lucky I haven't damaged anything, over the last 8 months, with it being the way it is.

· Registered
403 Posts
Hey Lookin,
Are you having a problem with the eng. location? I don't think lowering the front springs will change that. If you move the eng. too far from the normal, you may create one.
Now I'm going out side & look at my '93 Voyager & see the eng. location.
SpeedyEd

· Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks a bunch for helping out. :)

Well, if you look close at the second picture, you can see that my engine isn't sitting level anymore. The plenum is lower, on the TB end, at the drivers side.

· Registered
403 Posts
Okay,
I'm back from the wild outdoors of Upstate NY. My 3.0 looks to be in the same location. The easiest measurement I found is from the alt. pulley to the AC hose bracket on the strut tower,2.75". This is stock (replaced the axles, ball joints, brakes).
The plenum bolt between the runners appears to line-up with the hood latch hole.
Hope this helps.
SpeedyEd
Leveling - check the pass side mount to body fit. Does it sit higher than the original mount? I still have my original Shadow mount somewhere & could check the dimensions.
SpeedyEd

· Registered
403 Posts
Hey Lookin,
If its a level problem, check the eng. mount to body fit. Did the old mounts match the height of the new? How about the trans mount?
I can't check the Voyager because it's settled into the ground (& it's dark & scary outside)
SpeedyEd

· Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you see the post I made while you were out?

OK. I see you did now. :D

I put in polybushings.com solid mounts, and maybe I didn't adjust them right.

I just need to fiddle around with them I think.

· Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:eek: You're right! I just remembered!

The bottom plate on the engine mount, not the trans mount, was a tiny bit too long, and I had intended to either bend it, or trim it with a cutting wheel, later on.

So I tightened it down but good as it was, just a very teeny bit cocked (so a tad higher at the end nearest the firewall), and then I forgot to go back and fix it later. I got tripped off with something important or other. :eek:

I never notice it, when I am actually there checking my oil or something, because it is so slight. It sure shows up in the picture though

Thanks so much for your help SpeedyEd. :)

· We'll do it live!
7,617 Posts
Nice to hear from you again! That engine looks great. As does the rest of the van. I love the attention to detail

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.