Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
26,186 Posts
Hey NAJ I was gonna ask you...

The fine gentleman who sold me my roller cam also sent me 4 hydraulic lifters, 2 of them have like no movement when I push them down with my thumb, and 2 of them have about as much movement as the adjuster that came out of my valvetrain where the roller follower was spit out... which lifter should I use when I put it back together? Should I soak them in oil for 24 hours as well, even if they're used?

Also... when I pull the cam off, should I first turn the motor to TDC to make it easier to set the timing? What's the smartest way to go about swapping a cam with the least amount of headache? I have an adjustable cam gear as well if that means anything...

Thanks for all the help NAJ!!!
Yes you are correct that lifters/camshafts that are used and not from the same car should not be used together.

I would absolutely bring cylinder 1 to TDC on a compression stroke to make everything easier, however, you will still need to remove the lower timing cover to verify the intermediate shaft stays properly aligned.
When I replaced my front cam seal (in front of my apartment) I pried the belt off of the sprocket and suspended it with a bungy and slid it back on when done and then reset ignition timing.
Motor vehicle Wheel Font Line Automotive tire
White Jaw Organism Font Art

I also have an adjustable cam sprocket, for two reasons...
1)Got tired of being about a 1/2 tooth off on the cam after aligning all marks, tensioning the belt and two rotations of the crank.
2)I retarded cam timing for bracket racing purposes, The car always responded well to launch (assuming the driver had the proper rpm's when releasing the clutch and did not come off the clutch too hard/fast), I had no issues with reaction time and did not need increased 60' times, what I needed was more pull top end so it would be harder to be judged by quicker cars top end.
Previous to this my top end speed was in the 87.50 mph range hitting the traps in 3rd gear at 6100 rpm's.
Last time I raced which was 11 years ago the car in time trials ran 15.85, 15.85 and 15.86 at 88,50, 88.50 and 89.00 mph, 1st time ever hitting 88 + mph in the 1/4 mile.
Using the adjustable cam sprocket can help you get things dialed in.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Car

As far as the lifters...
If you can push the plunger down and it feels soft/spongy you need to bleed the air from the lifter and see if it is still easy to push down, if it is, the lifter is faulty, if a lifter that is not filled with oil is hard to push down the lifter is faulty or dirty.

Font Material property Rectangle Paper Paper product

Do not forget about the bearing caps.
Font Rectangle Number Art

·
Administrator
26,186 Posts
I have never done this but I would think that if the wear is not severe and you use a good quality oil (synthetic preferred) that you would not have any issues daily driving.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts