Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,, I realize most of you are running expensive AF meters, I will go the same route, but is anyone using an inexpensive pyrometer? If so are the probes lasting or do you have to change them out every so often. I have so many things to do that it will be hared to raise the kinda money I am forecasting. Thanks

·
Administrator
4,003 Posts
There are guys running EGT (technically pyrometer) in addition to and AF. Generally though in higher performance set-ups to tune cylinders individually, so a probe is installed in each cylinder runner of the exhaust manifold. Using a pyrometer, especially a single probe at any point in the system, instead of an AF I personally don't think will cut it. It's unnecessary though unless your running BIG power or hardcore drag/track racing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am a little surprised by the lack of input, but I guess being new to the forum does not help. I will try to be an active member and contribute when I can. I am just looking for history of egt probe failures and what to avoid if I can. Regards

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts
I am a little surprised by the lack of input, but I guess being new to the forum does not help. I will try to be an active member and contribute when I can. I am just looking for history of egt probe failures and what to avoid if I can. Regards
I've never run an EGT probe and never will. Early on I saw too many blowing up at the track because EGT failed and they were changing on the fly and running blind.

Plus, after years of experience and no failures I came to understand that when the pieces of the puzzle are Correct, and everything is working properly and tuned to proper AFR's, EGT follows suit, so really no need to monitor it.......

I should add that I could still tune one of these set-ups on the old Cyberdyne narrow band without issue. For most, obviously not as accurate, but I ran them back in the day side by side with wide band and understand the correlation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts