Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was on it real hard coming home from school and i heard a nice pop noise and now my vacuum is ALL over the place like no tomorrow,everytime the engine is revved it wants to die and makes a popping noise ALOT,checked my plugs and 1 and 2 are really rich(nice and black) and 3 and 4 are super lean( white and red) cant get any rpm's out of the engine either i dont notice any smoke or anything and antifreeze is all there still no weird smells,ill compression test tomorrow

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump.update

little bit of a bump and an update,well i started it again and i got top end tapping and popping and hissing thru the pcv i think. i pulled the spark plugs with the engine running and every one of them cept the 2nd cylinder damn near killed the engine but when i pulled the 2nd cylinders plug the idle smoothed a little bit and the popping went away and the engine revved a little bit easier,also the knocking was gone for the most part. so would u guys think i popped a piston or could it be head related?

·
Registered
673 Posts
86lance said:
i pulled the spark plugs with the engine running and every one of them cept the 2nd cylinder damn near killed the engine but when i pulled the 2nd cylinders plug the idle smoothed a little bit and the popping went away

Definatly bad. Sounds like you either broke a piston, and/or took out a rod bearing. Doesnt sound head realted....

Thats just my educated guess

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i really dont think its a rod bearing as the noise is coming directly from the top end,it isnt slap but its like a little deeper but not rod knock,so should i just pull the head and see or wait until i get a compression tester and check it some more,also if i blew out a main bearing wouldnt my vacuum still be alright? cuz my vacuum was erratic as hell

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well a dropped valave would sound right on the money because the car always had a top end knock and today it got worse but why would it stop when i disconnected the spark from it?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update

pulled the valve cover and the intake rocker arm fell out on number 2 cylinder....Any one have any tips for changing this out to a good one? ps i have a good one,just wana know the best way

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
86lance said:
pulled the valve cover and the intake rocker arm fell out on number 2 cylinder....Any one have any tips for changing this out to a good one? ps i have a good one,just wana know the best way

Becarefull that the valve seat didn't drop or the valve isn't seized in the guide, that will cause the rocker arm to fall out.

As for putting it in, you need to compress the valve then the rocker arm will slide back in otherwise undo the cam caps and let the cam move up!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how the hell did u slide it right back on,its under the cam and i cant get the valve spring to move really at all and the thing towards the front of the head(pushrod i think wont go down either to allow me to slide the new rocker in place

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
also what could i use to press the valve down to release tension under the cam,and could i just install the new rockers i have without doing anything else?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
getting very frustrated with this damn thing,pulled trhe cam out compeltely,marked the timing for the belt and cam and what not,pulled out the bad rocker arms and lubed up a good set and put them on where they go,put the cam shaft back on the engine and now being that the cam lobes are facing down on some of them the cam is cockeyed cuz of the position of the lobes and they wont line up.......what the hell do i do now

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
make sure the #1 cylinder's lobes are pointing up away from the lifter surface. they should be positioned like a 'v'.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This happend to me to. The best thing to do is line up the cam and set it on top of the rockers, you should have at least two spots where the cam caps will line up and be able to slide the bolts down through them. Tighten very gentley till the rest of the caps will fit then torqe them down you may need to fiddle with it to keep it from falling of the rockers. also make sure to tighten the right spots otherwise it will bind up on you the first time you rev it up and just through another rocker. P.S. You may want to check you lifters first, a bad one will just toss the rocker.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok good news,got the cam in,just tightened each one gently and evenly and they all everntually went in nice and good,redid the valve cover and everything so thats all good,go to start it and she starts immediately like always and im only pulling like 11-12 inches of vacuum and the idle is a bit high,so i look at the timing belt and somehow even though i marked it and put it back on at the marks it somehow jumped so now it runs starts is driveable but backfires at higher rpm,BUT the valvetrain is SUPER quiet so i should just readjust my timing belt and all will be well? oh how do i adjust the belt without taking the damn cam off again,lol

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Simple, set up crank to TDC, remove dist cap, spark plugs and upper timing cover. REmove cam bolt and slide off pulley, reset cam to proper location, rotor to proper location. You might have to rotate crank to align belt in new postition-use the alternator pulley with your hand.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts