Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Porting the Water Pump Housing

Engine 
11K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  The Pope 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
The hole into the block is about the size of the ported hole, but is made smaller by the flat spots in the housing. Then the edge is like a brick wall creating turbulance as the coolent trys to enter the block. I cut around 3/4" deep right here and made a little bit of a funnel out of what was there. This helps cooling because it speeds up coolent into the block so the water pump is pressurizing the block as best it can instead of pressuizing the water pump housing. This also can free up horse power as well all know pumping water takes power, reducing pressure and restriction frees power. I noticed more throttle response and mild power increase, the water temp is better. Anyway the pictures say a thousand words and the mod gives power and cooling, enjoy.

#4 ·
I cut 3/4" deep, so I use a non furrus 3/8" tree shaped carbide. Then I also use the same one again but 4" long. Then a 4" long mandrel with a 120 grit sand paper roll. I use a 25,000 RPM Dewalt, but you can use any cheap 1/4" grinder. I've seen a grinder that will do it at Schucks for $19.

#7 ·
Is this the pre common block water pump housing? I only have a common block water pump assembly handy I could look at. It looks like rotation on housing is reversed. For future use any ideas if this works on both water pump housings?

#8 ·
commen blocks need it but not as bad. The pump even has a ramp on it for the water. This is the old style housing, they benfit most from it.

#10 ·
nearly every thing that is a casting can be ported. The inside of the block can be ground and polished to help with windage and oil return to the oil pan. This also helps with strength. list goes on. Most parts ported have to do with air flow, the direct path to power and high VE in the engine. But other things like porting the fluid path is important, oil and water flow. Most commen so far on a TD

The heads
intakes
exhaust manifolds
turbines
swing valves
water pump housings
oil pump feed hole

I also port the stat hole in the head and cut down a Chevy race stat to fit the water neck. Then make sure the hole in the head is big enough. Then I am maxxing out the hose to the rad.

#11 ·
I've saw on guy on here that was selling a "ported" t2 intercooler...:lmao:

that would be me. would u care too see pics of the endtanks???? im sure it flows nicer than a stock intercooler...a rescriction in flow is a rescriction, whether it be air/water/oil......smooth things out, and you create more flow....which means things dont have to work as hard to keep up. And if something doesnt have to work as hard, its most likely going to last longer and live a much more happier life.

like the pope says...every little bit counts. anywho glad to see some pics of this!! I was planning to do this b4 I put my L pump on the "new" motor....my car is heaterless!!! so im just worried about flow. Maybe Ill get the nipple welded shut and blocked off....this should help aid in flow!

#13 ·
i have a spare common block pump housing that i may have to experiment on LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.