Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there such thing as porting your head and intake too smooth? i have been told you need some roughness to help the fuel to vaporize before reaching the combustion chamber.i realize all porting is done differently is a turbo car any different?i plan on gasket matching and the polishing as good as i can g head oversized valves to a two piece intake

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
MPI puts the fuel in right at the head, then TDs batch fire under boost. So this decreases the issue a ton. Some folks still convert there intakes from dry to wet, this slows down the flow of an intake. An example is the single planes for a magnum engine. Run FI they have great throttle response and low end power. Converted to carb they become a wet intake, then they become a high RPM intake and don't flow as well.

I like to polish everything and leave them all shinny. Then I bead blast the intake ports. Polishing gets the surface nice and removes a lot of BS caused by the cutters. Then you just add the satin texture with a bead blaster. Is it needed and so on? Most likely not from the fact the engine is MPI and I don't use wet intakes on my TDs. But I do things a tad excessive sometimes lol.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I just did my G-head. Lots of reshaping in both ports, intake ports are gasket-matched. Intake side was left w/ 60 grit roughness, exhaust ports were done down to 220grit by hand (and doing by hand makes them look MUCH better than just by sand rolls). I can post pics if you want.

I think its very debatable on which way you should go. No doubt, the smoother the exhaust ports, the less carbon buildup... intake side? Your call.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks bought a porting kit from eastwood comes with 80 grit rolls i'll take the exaust to the extreme (polished) and clean the intake side and bead blast it not a problemhave the gear from my side business thanks for the advice

1 - 6 of 6 Posts