Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, anyone who has a gen 1 Daytona, or Shelby car, knows that the hoods have these fiberglass type hood vent/louvers.
We all know, that now they have become brittle, and to find a good replacement with no cracks, that is not expensive, is very hard. My vent currently, is broken and i do have a replacement one. I do need to repair the replacement because it does have some cracks, (any ideas on the best glue?)

So I started thinking this, What if i can create a mold of it, and be able to make brand new, fiberglass vents? Now here is the catch... They won't be as heavy as the OE ones, (these things are heavy!), it would be new, and i would have to figure out how to get them mounted to the rain deflector. Other than that, here is my idea.

Im starting off with just creating the top portion of the vent. (what is seen when hood is closed.) The under side of the louvers are solid. But, if i create them, they would be hollow. it would make a "U" similar shape. Which may be stronger.
I plan to do this, by taking the one on my car now, and pressing thermoforming Urethane foam onto it. The foam molds to the shape that is heated. And being that the vent gets hot, the foam could mold to the right shape. After this, take shipping tape and lay it on the mold. (the fiberglass resin will react with the foam. so....) Then spread fiberglass with resin on the tape/mold. Let it cure, then (hopefully) Walla!!! A prototype way to create the top half of the vent. I'd work out how i would get it to mount to the deflector, but for now, getting the shape of the vent is the difficult part.

Please let me know if this could possibly work! I'm trying to put these parts back on the market. Not shut out the originals. But make good replacement pieces like these, affordable to the average TD owner, and make them right and good looking!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rigid Urethane woudl probably work better than fiberglass. I have a long list of parts I would like to make with this stuff, if I get some spare time.

https://www.smooth-on.com

Good luck with your project!
Im not sure about the rigid foam (just read it). Its foam, and if lets say a big bump happens, it could break. Plus, it would have to get painted, and the foam movements could mess up the paint.

But, im looking to find what i can do without having to build a huge vaccume setup and etc. Just doing this in the garage and what not. plus, dont have much time to do it anyway. So, hopefully i find what is a good start.

And thank! i plan to get this going real soon! never worked with fiberglass before.

·
Banned
866 Posts
I think aluminium or carbon fiber is great or the original material of fiberglass, these louvers are a structural part of the hood as it stiffen it ....I'd not use any thing made of plastic unless it was filled with long carbon fiber and stainless steel wire strands to form it out of.
The die can be made of hard woods ,,,like maple and ash you can soak the die in wax.
and put it in the oven at 100* for 10min. to let the wax soak in to the wood.

NOTE THIS TYPE OF DIE IS LIMITED TO 100 PICES and needs to be re-waxed after each casting is removed...

Try using vacuum pressure in a plastic bag and inject the resin into the mould. I'd allow 24HR to let it fully cure inside the die before removing the part.

mike0007 TD-member!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not the foam. Rigid Urethane Rubber. They make industrial parts from it and it is very similar to the material the originals were made from.

https://www.smooth-on.com/products/task-16/
will this be moldable in a way, where, when my Hood Vent gets to the temp when i drive the car, i just push the foam on the vent, and the heat and pressure will cause the foam to mold around the vent is a good enough shape? I have no skill or experience with using vaccum or a drill. nor do i have the machine or money to rent/ get someone to help.
And if this works, what can i use to make a solid vent from then? would i just play the fiber glass on each side? or fill with a product that is cheap and strong, and i could get away with no vacuum setup.
But what if i used space bags for vacuum pressure?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts