Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hooking up a few gauges in my car. The EGT gauge has 4 power wires. 2 of them power the light and the other 2 power the unit. I was wondering if I can power the unit by just wiring it to the 10 gauge wire I have thats powering my CD player or if I should hook it up directly to the battery?

Also, I was planning on powering the lights on my gauges and Dawes device to the dimmer switch? Which wire do I splice them into? The car is an 88 shadow. And can you recommend a good grounding spot in that area?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
figured it out myself. went ahead and powered the EGT and the dawes directly to the battery and powered the gauge lights on the dimmer switch. FYI the wire on the dimmer switch you want to splice into is tan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Directly to the battery? Why not to the ignition or maybe to the battery with a toggle switch. Directly to the battery usually means they are always on.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Wouldn't you just be able to wire a fuse in a line with them then???

How would you know what amp. fuse to use??

and could that possibly make your readings on your gauge inaccurate??

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
I would think you could wire it to your auxilary in the fuse box.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I like just using a relay and switching from the fuse box, then you can wire a lot of stuff to it and not worry much. The dimmer wire is orange last i knew

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
wire them to the ignition harness. plenty of current there, use an inline fuse holder that accepts blade type fuses. simple, plenty of current avaliable, and fused so if there is a short you dont wipe out your gauges or turn the power wire into a lightbulb filament

1 - 9 of 9 Posts