Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I line up the hoist to pull the head assembly (head, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, turbo) from the 89 caravan, I was curious what attachment points people use to angle the assembly from their application? Do you use an engine leveler?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I've always done it the old sloppy way but recently bought an Engine leveler.

I plan on using 2 holes on each end of the cylinder head but haven't yet.

My leveler had 90 deg ends so I'll probably make a change there.

Let us know what you do, this is one awkward thing about our Engines!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I extended the length of a leveler, so chains don't tear up valve cover and timing belt. No big deal on normal drivers, but restored cars you don't want to mess up that pretty restored valve cover now do you?.
I loop one bolt/chain through right engine mount, and the other side gets attached to bolt on tranny near shift selector area. Works perfect.
IIRC, original poster claimed to have sold vehicle, so this thread is dead.
Notice Randy I said engine, not motor? Tried to make a conscious effort so your "that guys an idiot" alarm doesn't go off anymore (lol).
I kid, I kid. :giggle:

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
You're never that guy!!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I extended the length of a leveler, so chains don't tear up valve cover and timing belt.
Hi Todd, could you show a picture. I just took my engine/tranny out on the weekend. I disliked the chains at the cover so I used a pair of thick insulated leather gloves as a cushion but I would like a better solution

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
yeah.. BEFORE ya start hoisting things be sure to remove the support bracket that runs from the bottom of the block to the bottom of the turbo or it just ain't gonna pull out past the top half of the engine block as you lift

usually the bolt at the turbo is fused into the nut welded to the bracket .. I usually just slipped my metal vacuum cleaner wrench/ratchet extension tube over the bracket and pried it back&down so it would clear

BEFORE you go to reinstall the head .. check the dipstick tube .. make sure the little bracket that attaches it to the thermostat housing bolt .. is well clear of the top of the block deck
if you bump it lowering the head in place that little bracket gets wedged between the head and block , thusly potentially effing up your new head gasket..

oh .. AND , .. if working on the early log style motor when finishing up with the little perferials stop and take a break before you go to install the factory 2 way vacuum thingy on the manifold

if you look at it there is a V section above the threads that go into the manifold as the diameter increases from the thread to the underside of the body of the vacuum fitting thingy

after an afternoon of pulling all the bolts tight .. you have to remember to just thread it in.. if you keep turning it absentmindedly.all the way down... you .. cough.. split the intake manifold at the hole .. nicely .. about an inch and a half to either side

this ends the day's effort with lookin forwards to doin' it all over again , .. tomorrow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts