Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure I have a boost leak. I thought it was the cam timing, but I've tinkered with that for some time now that I don't think it's that.

Just to make sure I have it timed correctly: I set the timing up according to TDD. Now when the engine is running, I disconnect the CTS and the motor goes into limp mode. From there I adjust the timing to 14* and shut off the motor. reconnect the CTS and start it up. It should be in time after that correct?

My problem is excessive amount of fuel burning and runs like crap when in boost, if i can get it to boost. She'll go to about 2 punds, but not as quick as before the headgasket replacement.

I replaced all the vacuum lines with a vacuum block. Doused that over with carb clean, nothing changed.

Douced the intake and found I had bad O-rings, changed those out and same thing.

Is there another way to check for vacuum/boost leakes other than with carb clean?

-Mattie

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok came across something intresting, the "vacuum line" going to the wastegate was being run off of the turbo. That could very well explain why I wasn't boosting! No vacuum to hold the actuator in! Tomorrow I'll head to work to grab another barb fitting for the vacuum block and run the wastegate off of that!

Make sense to my problem above?

-Mattie

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I am pretty sure even directly from the turbo you will see 6-7lbs of boost. 2 possible things that could be wrong.

1. engine timing is off a tooth.(I know you know its right, but tripple check it. It is a PITA to figure it out sometimes for me) DDG- Quick and easy timing belt check
2. there is a ground wire missing in the back of the intake to the firewall Pass side.

Do you hear any boost leaks? Maybe your blow off valve is disconnected to the charge pipr or is shot.

Report the fix.

Winston

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that ground wire could cause this? I suppose it's for the MAP eh? I did break that in the process, I'll have to double check that!

I don't hear anything as far as a leak that I can hear.

Yeah that timing is a PITA! Even if it's off a tooth, it'll still run! Bah!

-Mattie

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Wastegate is not held shut with vacuum, it's a spring. Boost pressure opens it. Wastegate needs to be hooked to an adjustable boost controller or for stock setup it needs to be hooked up to the solenoid by the passenger strut mount. If you want to see if you have boost, just disconnect the hose to the wastegate, don't run any hoses to the wastegate. Take the car for a spin, but becareful you will probably overboost.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
soo, if I'm running without a boost controller, It needs to be hooked up to the solenoid? What if I don't? Could that cause me to not boost correctly?

Well I added the ground strap and it somewhat helped, but didn't cure it. I disconnected the FPR and took it for a spin and it runs pretty much the same!

So do I conclude a bad FPR? Or still a vacuum leak that could be affecting the FPR? I took another listen today and I can't tell if I hear an external leak or just the intake itself. I can't seem to find any leaks (unless it's at the intake gasket, haven't checked that. pretty hard!)

-Mattie

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
was there gas in the fpr vac line? if not it may be ok, get a fp guage on that. I still think you should move your cam timing back and forth a tooth. Of course check the ignition timing after that.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
soo, if I'm running without a boost controller, It needs to be hooked up to the solenoid? What if I don't? Could that cause me to not boost correctly?

Well I added the ground strap and it somewhat helped, but didn't cure it. I disconnected the FPR and took it for a spin and it runs pretty much the same!

So do I conclude a bad FPR? Or still a vacuum leak that could be affecting the FPR? I took another listen today and I can't tell if I hear an external leak or just the intake itself. I can't seem to find any leaks (unless it's at the intake gasket, haven't checked that. pretty hard!)

-Mattie
Please explain where the hose from the wastegate is going, because I don't know? If it's connected to the manifold that's NO good. Please explain where the hose from the wastegate goes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
after I redid the vacuum lines, I had it going from the turbo itself to the wastegate with NO boost controller.

The timing marks all line up, even after i hit them up with the timing light, everything seems to check in!

-Mattie

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
after I redid the vacuum lines, I had it going from the turbo itself to the wastegate with NO boost controller.

The timing marks all line up, even after i hit them up with the timing light, everything seems to check in!

-Mattie
Of course your not making boost. Your wastegate is opening up because the turbo as soon as it creates boost that boost goes straight to your wastegate and opens it up and vents all your boost. You need a boost controller or you need to unhook the hose from your turbo to wastegate and hookup the hose from the solenoid (by the map sensor) to your wastegate.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
If you want to see if the turbo makes boost disconnect any hose that is going to the wastegate. Drive slowly and use the throttle gently (you don't want to overboost). I bet you'll make more than 2 psi.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts