Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
89 Dodge Caravan 2.5 turbo. Another problem appeared Sunday. As I hit a roadway with higher speeds, van wouldn't accelerate properly. Tried giving it more gas again and heard and felt a jerk, almost like a trans slip. But not the trans. It's shifting ok. Now I had acceleration before this. So what happened all of a sudden? When you take off it can accelerate to 20-25mph. Then you have to gradually wait for it to gain speed.Took for a test ride last night. Once i shifted into 3rd, I tried giving it more gas, it seems like all of a sudden something catches and i hear something kick in and I have more power. But can only do this once in 3rd. I also found a vacuum leak, will try to share pic. Not sure where it goes to or what happened to hose. Can't find anything. Don't know if this would have anything to do with it?

·
Super Moderator
11,684 Posts
well , that's definitely a vacuum leak and will cause driveability issues

if there seems to be no lose hose end flopping around somewhere than I'd presume that fitting only had a rubber cap to block it off .. many of our cars do - soo I'd try finding a short piece of hose that will fit tight and be long enough you can block it with a bolt or screw for the time being and to see if it solves your issue

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

well , that's definitely a vacuum leak and will cause driveability issues

if there seems to be no lose hose end flopping around somewhere than I'd presume that fitting only had a rubber cap to block it off .. many of our cars do - soo I'd try finding a short piece of hose that will fit tight and be long enough you can block it with a bolt or screw for the time being and to see if it solves your issue

·
Super Moderator
11,684 Posts
I don't think it ever lead to anything
often the second vacume port is caped with a rubber cap with a steel crimp .. that eventually rusts away
so , likely you'r not missing a hose but just the original plug or cap that was there

thus I suggested making a quickie plug with a piece of hose and something to plug the piece of hose
put that on the vacuum port to block it off

don't try to plug the port by putting something in it as that's a direct path to inside your motor IF something drops in

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do. I guess my old mechanic didn't leave country as planned so he's coming out Saturday, (I hope). So, hopefully we can figure out the problem. But I will hose that vacuum off.

·
Administrator
24,131 Posts
According to my vacuum diagrams that port should have a hose connected that runs to the Vapor Canister.
The other line on the Throttle Body (TB) tees into the missing line so if you follow it you should find the disconnected hose.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,684 Posts
because of the vacuum leak created by that open port without the hose connected or a cap if required..

a vacuum leak is unregulated air being able to enter the engine without being controlled by the plate in the throttle body or carb

if you had a large enough vacuum leak you would get a run away engine as you would have no means to reduce airflow by closing the throttle as uncontrolled air enters via the leak after the throttle body

much like holding the door against the wind only to have the window beside it blow in

the extra air can also screw up the ratio of fuel and air as the injectors are feeding with some idea of the throttle position
again , extra air screws up that "chemistry" causing a lean running condition too

·
Super Moderator
11,684 Posts
glad to hear it sounds like you still have "the old guy"

it sounds like he needs to look at whatever the other shop did .. before you go to much further forwards

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NAJ, thanks for diagram. Printed out a copy for my vans file, and it's a big one. I've had this van since 2003, unbelievable!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, he cta mechanic that put in my water pump really fudged things up. Timing was way off. Will be working on timing belt later today, Sunday. I replaced most of my rad hoses, hopefully overheating problem is solved. Needless to say CTAguy will never touch my van again!!!!. Even I know you don't need to remove belt to change pump. At least I thought that was the case, that's why I asked you guys. Anyway, she's almost back to her old self. 325,000 miles and still going strong. This van is unbelievable. I call her Turbolicious, lol,lol. Thought you's might get a kick out of that.

·
Administrator
24,131 Posts
Glad to hear it is not something major.
Sad to hear that the problem was created by the last person to touch the van.
People used to ask me what the difference is between an Automotive Service Technician and a Mechanic.
The guy that did your water pump is a Mechanic.
Good Luck and Happy Motoring!!!

·
Administrator
10,150 Posts
Well, he cta mechanic that put in my water pump really fudged things up. Timing was way off. Will be working on timing belt later today, Sunday. I replaced most of my rad hoses, hopefully overheating problem is solved. Needless to say CTAguy will never touch my van again!!!!. Even I know you don't need to remove belt to change pump. At least I thought that was the case, that's why I asked you guys. Anyway, she's almost back to her old self. 325,000 miles and still going strong. This van is unbelievable. I call her Turbolicious, lol,lol. Thought you's might get a kick out of that.
Glad to see the van is still going strong!

Too bad you live a drive away from me or I would of helped with the pump repairs like the rack all those years ago!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey, hey. How the hell are ya? Nice to hear from you. And guess what, the rack is leaking. I need it done again. 🤔🤔 I do have someone to do it, I believe. She also needs leaf springs. But anytime you wanna come out this way, you're always welcome. Hope all is well.😊

·
Administrator
10,150 Posts
Ooof, looks like they just don't make shit like they used to. Is it the rack or the line that's leaking? I know you said Firestone worked on it many moons ago.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was told it was the rack. It's leaking right by the right front tire. My mom had her rack on Ford replaced 3 yrs ago and it's leaking bad. Having it redone tomorrow. Since I now own it. Talk about shitty craftsmanship.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts