Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i just reinstalled the head on the omni's 2.5, had to replace the I shaft because it sheared off and caused the distributor to fly all over. Anyways, got it all back together and seems to be running fine but i have a really bad shake at idle. I thought the balance shaft might be off but they run off the crank and if its timed they should be timed, any ideas?

· Registered
3,600 Posts
Ok i just reinstalled the head on the omni's 2.5, had to replace the I shaft because it sheared off and caused the distributor to fly all over. Anyways, got it all back together and seems to be running fine but i have a really bad shake at idle. I thought the balance shaft might be off but they run off the crank and if its timed they should be timed, any ideas?
:confused::confused: why did you take the head off to replace the i shaft because it sheared off and causedthe distributor to fly all over? :confused::confused:

· Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i didnt know about the i shaft before i removed the head. I thought i had done some major damage to a piston or something plus i knew i had a blown head gasket. Did my heim joint conversion while i was in there too. Head was warped .010 so i had it resurfaced. But in the meanwhile since i originally posted to messed up again the same way, hope i didnt chew up another I shaft.

· Registered
3,600 Posts
do u know what chews up a shaft? usually a bad oil pump, or oil pump not installed 100% correct, theres a tsb about installing the oil pump and make sure that the mount flange dont hit block casting flash or ur i shaft has bad bearings or ur timing belt is tooo tite.

· Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im sure your right about the oil pump. i have a new one just tried to be lazy, thats what i get :). Oil pum had a hard spot in it when it was turned but i had good pressure so i left it. Pan comes off today, then off to the yard again for another shaft i guess.

· Banned
1,701 Posts
Ford had a huge problem with breaking oil pump drive shafts on the 302/289/260 engines. The smallest chunk of crap would jamb the pump and turn the drive shaft into a twist drill before it broke. BTW you should also get a new pickup screen. There could be some junk in there that might come loose and jamb the new pump. No matter how good you think you flush the pickup, you can't get it as clean as new. Cheap insurance. Becareful when installing the new pump. make sure the pump is perfectly flat on the block.

· Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah theres even a paper in the box with the new pump talking about casting flash and crap on the mounting surface. I just finished pulling the pump, just as i thought the gear was fubar on that too. Off to the yard for more I shafts, luckily theres plenty.

· Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
finally got the new oil pump and a 3rd intermediate shaft in and everythings great, apparently the stripped oil pump gear caused the vibration. Lesson learned from this one. :)

Finally off the stands after about 2 weeks lol, not enough time between TDs and work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.