Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have a 1980 Horizon TC3 with the 1.7L 5 speed and its got a 2 barrel carborator, Well i decided im gunna daily drive that tis summer and I was wondering if there was any way to run propane or lpg in it. I have seen some 4 barrel carbs that are used for propane, but i think that would be overkill.

Thanks in advance:)

· Registered
3,679 Posts
They make kits to run propane we converted many taxi cabs back in the 80's we cut the trunk floor out and dropped a propane tank in ran the lines and hooked up the mixer and it used a ring that sat on top of the carb to inject the propane we left the carb on there and just didn't use gas. Timing needs to get bumped up a good bit since propnae has what would be about 110 octane if it was rated as octane. Impco I believe was one of the companies we got kits from. here is a nice article Convert Your Car to Propane
Tim

· Registered
35 Posts
there are a lot of guys around here running propane on rock crawlers because just like fuel injection it will run at steep angles but is cheaper. a buddy used to run it on his before we converted it to tuned port injection. his kit used a standard holley base plate that the mixer bolted to and i believe the mixer had a vac port that controlled the mixture.i can ask him more about it if you need me too.if i remember you gave up some fuel economy as well,sort of like e-85.

· Registered
3,679 Posts
sooo... like is there a throttle valve?? or something?
like one guy already said some systems us the base plate from the carb and you bolt the mixer to it becoming you new carb. We used a few of these and we also had units that the carb stays in place without gas going to it and is still the throttle but a ring sits between the carb and air cleaner that the propane is piped to. You need to give the engine alot more timing we use to set base timing on some of our setups to 30 BTDC. Propane is like very high octane fuel.
Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.