Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to use propane as an auxillary fuel? I want to use a simple propane vapor injection setup, switched on with a pressure switch and a solenoid at 14 psi. I was wondering if anyone has done this, and if there are any downsides to this? Any help would be appreciated.

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
Has anyone tried to use propane as an auxillary fuel? I want to use a simple propane vapor injection setup, switched on with a pressure switch and a solenoid at 14 psi. I was wondering if anyone has done this, and if there are any downsides to this? Any help would be appreciated.
I know this is a popular turbo diesel power adder.

I never considered it with a gas motor - too afraid a jumped timing belt one day could create a intake manifold explosion, or worse - backfeed into the propane tank and create a really bad day for me, my car, and anyone within 50 yards of the... um... crater in the ground.:rolleyes:

but never say never:thumb:

· Registered
1,566 Posts
My Neon uses injectors from a propane bus (1600 cc)

But there are questions. For example, what is the octane of propane? If diesel guys like it, maybe it's a low octane as their engines thrive on knock.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So basically, what I'm finding out here is that nobody's tried this? Hmmmm. I just really don't want MY engine to be the guinea pig. LOL. As I said earlier, I want to use gasoline as a primary fuel, and then use the propane as added fuel when under extreme boost.

Has nobody tried using propane as an auxillary fuel, or even as a primary fuel on these engines??

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
So basically, what I'm finding out here is that nobody's tried this? Hmmmm. I just really don't want MY engine to be the guinea pig. LOL. As I said earlier, I want to use gasoline as a primary fuel, and then use the propane as added fuel when under extreme boost.

Has nobody tried using propane as an auxillary fuel, or even as a primary fuel on these engines??
there's a little bit of difference between a car thats been converted to CNG and what you are proposing. I can't speak for anybody else, But I never considered propane as a gas engine power-adder due to the fact that what we have now is tried and true and most of all stable. - Boost, good gas, boost, Methanol injection, boost, nitrous, and more boost:thumb:.

Oh, BTW - I feel that creating a situation that requires the separate fuel supply (whatever it may be) is a bad idea.
IE: Run out of your propane or whatever at your "extreme boost" and blow you engine.

· Registered
40 Posts
I saw guys on extreme 4x4 built a rock crawler with V8 powered by propane or CNG, don't remember now. They said it's higher octane than gas and is good for the engine. Ran real good. There are retrofit kits out there for CNG and propane.

Alex...

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But it's not like nitrous... because nitrous is an oxygen adder, whereas the propane is a fuel, compensating for the oxygen added by my turbo. The power gains are going to be from added boost, the propane isn't for power, it's to prevent detonation and lean conditions.

· Registered
10 Posts
My brother was going to purchase a Dodge truck, I forget what year, but it had a 6 cylinder and under the hood it had a sticker for what the timing should be set to and everything. Well, it showed propane on the sticker as a primary fuel, only difference was that the idle was, if I remember correctly, about 200 rpms lower than that of gas.

· Registered
19 Posts
This has been done before. There was a guy that owned a 3000 GT VR4 that built his own kit and was selling it. Worked pretty effectively according to him. Propane has an octane rating of betwee 110 and 120. Import Power Online was what he was selling it under....I think thathe was using a Hobbs switch and blowing it in at 10 psi....really reduced his knock count and timing adjust (retard) by the ECU....

· Registered
190 Posts
I have run Propane in a truck in the past (I am currently considering converting an older slant six truck now) and currently have two stationary engines that run propane. All these use a propane carb type setup not injection. I would not recomend the carb type setup for performance (acceleration is poor) but they work fine otherwise. The only real saftey issue is propane leakage. The propane in the tank is safe untill it gets out (there is no oxygen in the tank so if you put a flame in there it would go out!). BTW engines purpose built for propane run higher compression (I expect due to a higher octane rating).

Thx-Ace

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.