Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am i supposed to tighten them with something? to what torque? or do I just loosely install them and then when I install the exhaust manifold and tighten the NUTS, it tightens the studs? 2.5 turbo I common block

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Simple ask your partner how they like it! :)

You can use a stud tool or use 2 nuts on the stud. Spin a nut onto the stud, then a second one to jam them together. Then use the "top" nut to tighten down. I always have just snugged them down. You can also slice a slot on top of the stud so you can use a screwdriver to install and remove, just like a screw. I think that covers all the options.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
+1, i just thread a nut onto the manifold side, and hand tighten the stud with that...the remove the nut, and install manifold

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
^+1 on the 'double nut then snug it'; or you can use a small vicegrip (on the un threaded portion) just be sure not to bugger up the threads

I use loctite medium on the studs too ; it will probably break down once the motor heats up, but maybe not, and I find it aggravating when I go to remove the nut and the dam stud comes out too

plus I think at least one stud passes into an oil or coolant passage so a little sealant on the threads may forestall potential leaks..

I usually use the loctite medium on the intake manifold bolts too, or a bit of silicone blue

1 - 4 of 4 Posts