Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I'm a huge DCX fan and love the PT, I've never owned one or driven one long enough to accustom myself to one like I have now (the new GT 5spd is awesome). Consequently, I would like to ask you PT veterans if a few of these quirks are normal:

1. THUD noise generated from gearbox area; sometimes when clutch is depressed, sometimes when coming to a stop, sometimes during gear selection. It's almost like a weight shift noise, but I don't have to be moving for it to happen.

2. Cold Starts: When I fire the PT up after sitting through a 10 degree Michigan night, the RPMs severly dip when I attempt to rev the engine. A stalling action almost if I just touch the accelerator (not good for those IN A HURRY mornings). Normal? After a few moments/attempts, it is gone...

3. Lighting of interior buttons: The rear window switches (front and back) and the door lock switches do not light up at night, yet they seem to have the little teeny lighting window integrated on them. Know what I'm talking about?

4. Under powered alternator? When my ABS kicks in, etc, I notice my headlights dim quite a bit. When the brake lights come on I can even notice a little flux. No biggie...

5. Owner's Manual says not to use chrome polish on the wheels. What do I use?

6. Not a chick magnet. . . yet. What gives? I have a girlfriend, so it's ok. Turned her from a PT hater to a lover.

Sorry for the length.
Thanks, All!

·
Registered
178 Posts
My Turbo is an AutoStick so I can't help with the questions related to clutch. Haven't had my Turbo in weather below about 30 degrees but no problem on cold morning startup at that temperature. I let it warm up a couple of minutes before starting off and I don't blip the engine in cold weather.

As to the light, you may or may not have a problem. The front window switches on the dash and door lock buttons should light when the instrument lights are on. The 2003 GT's (and maybe all of the 2003's) don't have lights on the switches for the rear windows, either on the dash or the ones mounted in the rear of the floor console.

My ABS doesn't kick in very often but I have never noticed the headlights dimming when they do. When the headlights are on, I have my turn signal on and I am idling, I do notice that the fuel pump sound changes with the turn signal flashing off and on. Headlights are a big time drain, especially if the car is idling. Once the car is moving down the road, the alternator should not have any trouble keeping up with the load and recharging the battery.

I wash and wax my chrome wheels with Meguiar's.

At 55 and long time married, I don't really notice the chick magnet part. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
BuonoNut
I'm not sure what year model you have but for the 2001's, there was a TSB on cold starts. My cruiser had this problem and it' much better after I took it in.

No chrome polish? I've been using mother's since 7/00 on my cruiser's wheels with no problems! Do you have chrome clad vs all chrome? Maybe this is the problem?
I'm sure someone else more savy about cars can answer your questions.

and BTW: Welcome!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Your #3 problem might not be a problem at all. My 2003's light switches for the rear windows (both switches front and rear) and the door lock buttons do not light up. This despite the fact (like yours) that there are little lenses in there. Both of my previous PT's had lights. I suspect this is a (cost saving) running change in 2003's. Mine was built 1/2/2003 so earlier 2003's Cruiser's might have the lights. Check your build date.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. (nice to be here)
This is what I've guessed as well. My buddies 02 has lights on the door locks, but it seems fairly insignificant. I'm sure the cost saving is a little more than insignificant, so the winner is...

In comparison to my '01 Dodge Neon that has just been replaced, this PT's sound system is quite sub-par, as well (whereas the Neon's was way above average). It the same radio (single CD, no cassette), the speakers just seem wimpy. Will the subwoofer help?

Where do I check for the build date of my car?

To answer previous questions, my GT is an '03, of course. And my wheels are all chrome, not clad.

Alternator unpowering my be a result of the car being at idle speeds (b/c the clutch is disengaged) when other systems kick in (ABS, Trac,...). Thanks to my bud on that.

·
Registered
703 Posts
My GT was built in October 2002. The front power window lights are the only ones that light up at night.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
The rear window lights only come on as long as the lockout switch is not set to lockout. Whats the point of lighting a switch which wouldnt work anyway???

Hope that helps with that one.

·
Registered
520 Posts
BuonoNut said:
Thanks all. (nice to be here)
This is what I've guessed as well. My buddies 02 has lights on the door locks, but it seems fairly insignificant. I'm sure the cost saving is a little more than insignificant, so the winner is...

In comparison to my '01 Dodge Neon that has just been replaced, this PT's sound system is quite sub-par, as well (whereas the Neon's was way above average). It the same radio (single CD, no cassette), the speakers just seem wimpy. Will the subwoofer help?

Where do I check for the build date of my car?

To answer previous questions, my GT is an '03, of course. And my wheels are all chrome, not clad.

Alternator unpowering my be a result of the car being at idle speeds (b/c the clutch is disengaged) when other systems kick in (ABS, Trac,...). Thanks to my bud on that.
[/QUOTE

It's on the lower drivers door sticker, just below the bar codes on the left. It will read something like 0102315 (January 2nd 2003, 1500 hours)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yelp, the bean counters won again on the rear window lights (both on the instrument panel and on the rear of the console). The lockout switch doesn't matter since they chose to eliminate the lights from those switches. The door lock switches do light on my 03GT built in July 2002.

Frank, the number on the drivers door below the barcode in 072400 so I don't think that code would work for mine. That sticker does say built 7-2002 up on the top line.

·
Registered
520 Posts
03GTCruiser said:
Yelp, the bean counters won again on the rear window lights (both on the instrument panel and on the rear of the console). The lockout switch doesn't matter since they chose to eliminate the lights from those switches. The door lock switches do light on my 03GT built in July 2002.

Frank, the number on the drivers door below the barcode in 072400 so I don't think that code would work for mine. That sticker does say built 7-2002 up on the top line.
Looks like your car was built on the 24th of July.

C

·
0 Posts
I found a computer printout in my glovebox from the factory. It has the date and time it rolled off the line and the time 30 minutes later that it passed inspection. Don't know what the rest of it was as it is in spanish. Think it had to do with options installed.
Oh the born on date for my GT is Oct 18th 2002 at 22:24 hours. Passed test at 22:53 hours. The door sticker says 101822. So it is the month day and hour.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Must be running the factory 24 hours a day since your was born at 10 pm and mine (072400) was born between midnight and 1 am.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts