Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long ago I bought the washers That "Pope" said to use . They are .060" thick. and you are to use two under each PT lifter/ so you end up with .120" total height.
Well I've finally pulled my valve cover to do is PT lifter swap. Since the time I got my lifter spacers, you guy found washers that are the correct thickness of .120"
Is there any problem using two of the washer (.060" each) that Pope was using ?
Or should I buy the new thicker single .120" washer ? is there anything that needs to be done to the washers before installing them ?
Also who sells the washers for a good price / only need the washers.

·
Administrator
10,119 Posts
Remember the shim numbers with Fastenal is in the FAQ section. Back when written the company name was fasteners.

·
Premium Member
8,959 Posts
is there an opinion which "side" of the washer(s) should go "up" ..?

IIRC the washers I got from Pope a decade ago - like many/most 'normal' 'flat' washers - had a 'flat' side and a 'rounded' side..

I put 'rounded' side 'up' for both washers ..

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
is there an opinion which "side" of the washer(s) should go "up" ..?

IIRC the washers I got from Pope a decade ago - like many/most 'normal' 'flat' washers - had a 'flat' side and a 'rounded' side..

I put 'rounded' side 'up' for both washers ..
Correct, rounded side up .
I've always put chamfered side down in case lifter bore isn't cut perfectly 90°. There is a reason why bottom of lash adjusters are chamfered. Another example of this is with oil pump rotor. Large chamfer goes down in oil pump body for that very reason.

What I do is take a couple thousands off diameter of each washer to make sure it can't ever get stuck in lifter bore. I've been down that road a couple times. Hope you guys are using grade 8 washers or better. Wouldn't use stainless for a couple reasons. Kind of sucks trying to get mushroomed washers out that are stuck in lifter bores.

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
Yes, PT Lifters and hardened shims and beveled side down, that is the correct orientation for installation. The reason is that there is a lip at the bottom of the bore and you want the washer to sit down in that space, not hold the washer a few thousands of an inch off the floor of the bore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts