Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title states I should be pulling my engine tomorrow. Anything major I should watch out for? And if your wondering why its to clean it up replace the turbo( thought it would be easier) and replacing the damn starter. God its in an annoying position.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Pulling the engine is a piece of cake.
nothing to major to wach out for that I can think of.

these are my suggestions below.
if it's a 5-speed remove the front pulley and the water pump pulley for more clearance.
the front pulley bolts are External Torx E15 I belive?
my laser XT automatic cleared with the front pulley on.
you have to unbolt the passenger side driveaxle support bracket from the block.
spray your exhaust bolts with WD40 or similar before hand.
The Power steering pump you just unbolt through the holes in the pulley and there is a nut on the back, and you can pop it out of it's bracket and tie it up.
Just unbolt the alternator and leave it on the car also.

The starter is a pain no matter what. that bolt on the back I usually can get from above
just by feel. and there is a bellhousing bolt just under it also.
also remove the front motor mount completly from the engine, so you dont rake it through your radiator.
I can't think of anything else really, the hardest parts are the things underneath you have to unbolt, the driveaxle support, bellhousing bolts, exhaust, ect...
also be sure when you put in the new starter you put the head shielding on it, unless you like replacing the starter :)

good luck!

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
The best way that I have found to remove the engine is to remove the head first if you are going to be removing it. Means less weight to have in the air (or droping to the ground) and you are able to get to all of the bolts on the starter a lot more easily. But everything else listed sounds pretty good. And once you remove the front pulley, use different bolts to reattach it, it will make it easier the next time you have to work on the engine, or even re-time it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts