Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO finally got my 87 GLHS out that I recently bought and noticed that under acceleration the car pull to the right. When you left off to shift, the car comes back left because of the input to counter the pulling right. I suspect its in the suspension and plan to basically rebuild/replace all the front suspension parts (eventually going with the coil overs all around). If I have time tomorrow, I will pull the front tires and check ball joint and tire rods as a start. I also believe the struts are garbage as I hear lots of pops and groans when going over bumps and turns. I will also inspect the moron mounts.

Has anyone experienced such an issue as what I have and if so, what was your corrective action?

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I know when my brother owned an '86 GLH-T it would go sideways under hard acceleration at a standstill.
The GLH-T didn't have the equal length half shafts that the Shelby Charger did.
I also remember that the GLHS would do the same thing when I installed the Stage II computer.
Even though it had the equal length half shaft axles, it had a lot more torque with the Stage II.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think its torque steer as it is doing this under mild to moderate acceleration. I mean it is almost unsafe with the way its pulling. Guess its time to tear the front end down and start replacing parts. Probably mostly OEM stuff in there I am guessing.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I would check the steering rack to see if it's tight on the crossmember.

Lots of folks replaced lots of parts only to discover a loose rack.

I think all GLH-Ts had the goofy equal length setup.

I removed a couple and replaced them with unequal shafts.

I'm positive it didn't have any detrimental effects.

Somehow I thought they would be valuable some day!!

I guess the jokes on me. LOL

Thanks
Randy

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
The Shelby Turbo Charger and Charger GLHS had the equal length shafts.

The drivers side had a short solid drive shaft that connected the wheel to the transmission.

The passenger side had a two shaft setup between the transmission and the wheel.
The passenger side of the transmission connected to a tubular intermediate shaft.
The tubular intermediate shaft then coupled to a solid drive shaft that was equal in length to the drivers side.

At the passenger side connection point there was bearing/bracket assembly and slinger that held the two shafts in place.

I'm thinking you should check to see if the bearing/bracket assembly on the passenger side is either loose or worn out.

Reactions: GLHS0815

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The Shelby Turbo Charger and Charger GLHS had the equal length shafts.

The drivers side had a short solid drive shaft that connected the wheel to the transmission.

The passenger side had a two shaft setup between the transmission and the wheel.
The passenger side of the transmission connected to a tubular intermediate shaft.
The tubular intermediate shaft then coupled to a solid drive shaft that was equal in length to the drivers side.

At the passenger side connection point there was bearing/bracket assembly and slinger that held the two shafts in place.

I'm thinking you should check to see if the bearing/bracket assembly on the passenger side is either loose or worn out.
Thank you for the info, I will put it up on ramps tomorrow and check that out.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Thank yo for the info, I will put it up on ramps tomorrow and check that out.
You're welcome.
I didn't think about the bearing/bracket assembly until I looked at the Mopar Performance 2.2/2.5 FWD book for reference.
I remember now seeing that bracket many times under the car.
Check the bolts holding it in place first.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're welcome.
I didn't think about the bearing/bracket assembly until I looked at the Mopar Performance 2.2/2.5 FWD book for reference.
I remember now seeing that bracket many times under the car.
Check the bolts holding it in place first.

Will do, that and the rack bolts first

·
Premium Member
994 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Don't forget alignment. If alignment is way off, the car will wander all over the place. Having owned GLHT's since new, they had the same entire drivetrain as the SC, including equal length axles. Only difference in the L+R Citroen axles was the damper on the drivers side axle.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am positive the alignment is out as the car feels way to neutral and next to zero road feel. I was going to hold off on the alignment until after I get the front suspension parts inspected / replaced. I know the struts are garbage as are the strut mounts. Rear shocks are spent as well.

Also does not help that previous owner put wrong size tires on it (205/55/15) but that should not cause the pulling as all four tires are that size.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Don't forget alignment. If alignment is way off, the car will wander all over the place. Having owned GLHT's since new, they had the same entire drivetrain as the SC, including equal length axles. Only difference in the L+R Citroen axles was the damper on the drivers side axle.
I forgot how many vendors were used for axle shafts back then.
I took a look at the 2.2/2.5 FWD book.
Ciroen and G.K.N. were the primary suppliers since 1981 while A.C.I. and S.S.G. were also used.
So far I haven't seen any mention in the parts book for the S.S.G. axles though.

You're correct about the different dampers on the drivers side.
Both Citroen and A.C.I. used the same damper p/n 5212767
G.K.N. used damper p/n 5212839

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Put the front end up and both ball joints and tie rods are tight. Inspected the half-shaft carrier bearing and there is no play in that. Steering rack is tight as well. Looked at the control arm bushings and they all looked good as well. Actually the only thing I saw was a dog bone looking mount on the back side bottom had rubber torn on it. But I doubt that is causing my pulling. Maybe it's just bad struts and the alignment is that bad.

Either way I plan to replace the control arms, ball joints, tie rods, struts and what not. What I have may not be bad, but I like to know what I have vs guessing what has been done.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I would replace it.
Cheap and easy part to replace.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Reactions: GLHS0815
1 - 17 of 17 Posts