Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am running a 88 2.2with a Garret. I resently added the air charge sensor and changed to a 89 TII computer. On the stock boost gage , it reads 10 psi. at 3/4 throttle and pulls pretty good. when i go wot the power drops off. I did change the vacum set up to a manifold to clean things up a bit. I also used a 89 vacum diagram. It sometimes stumbles when I come to a stop. Which makes me think that there is something wrong with the vacum set up I forgot to mention that I did change to stock TII injectors and I do not have a intercooler installed as of yet. this might be a bad thing. I am new to the mini mopar stuff, any help would be fantastic! :bang head

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Are you getting any codes? Without the intercooler you're probably getting quite a bit of detonation and the computer is pulling back the timing. Check the codes and that might give you some clues.

·
Banned
4,729 Posts
First make sure your car is in a proper state of tune...plugs, wires, cap+rotor, coil all good. If those are all good than Una is right, it's in the ECU's spark and fuel tables.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
An 89 SMEC on an '88 T1 should work just fine. Any codes? An A/F guage will help you figure out if you have a mixture problem. Also check your fuel pressure. It's hard to say, but you may be running lean or rich at WOT. Are you letting the SMEC control the boost or are you using a grainger?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
OK, well then you may just be running too rich in open-loop mode when at WOT. I'd check the fuel pressure. Also, if you know someone with a code scanner that you can borrow you can watch and see if the SMEC is detecting excessive knock and pulling out all of your spark. Finally, you might try installing a grainger, setting it for 10psi and seeing if part throttle and WOT makes a difference then.

·
Banned
4,729 Posts
^thats what I was thinking too. Boost is too addictive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
as a mater of fact , I resently purchased a scanner on ebay. It is a otc 4000E. i have not recieved it yet. i took out the plugs to see if there was anything that would give me any clues to what is happening. The plugs looked great. I changed them any way with some NGK. Knothing has changed. I did manage to retrieve a code 35. From what I have on that code is that it pretains to the speed sensor. That would explain when I come to a stop the motor stumbles. I have been realy paying attention to the A/F meter and under normal driving it dips into the lean leds and then to the rich leds speraticly. Could the speed sensor also have this kind of effect? can you guys tell me what vin number to use on the scanner for the 89 TII computer I am running?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts