Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got offered a Quaife SRT-4 LSD from a wreck for $600 today... I almost bought it, but I wanted to do some research on it first...

In my reading, I've come across the idea that it may not be great for what I want...

Apparently, helical LSD's work based on torque application and resistance, which works the worm gears up to lock the two axle collars together, which is great... but what happens when I'm not applying much torque, but spinning like crazy, in a low-traction situation? I get nothing?

What I'm really looking for in an LSD is something that is activated by the difference in speed between the two tires... like if I'm stuck in mud or something, it will xfer some power to the wheel that's not spinning... I'm really interested in "keep me going" and low-speed performance, w/o the weight of AWD systems...

What kind of LSD do I need?

·
Banned
1,448 Posts
the quaife acts like a posi when load is equal....when weight is applied, it transfers more of the power to the axle with greater load.

i wouldnt take my shelby mud bogging, but id have to say if i ever got stuck in the mud both tires will spin equally! as there is no way to load up the quaife, keeping it in "posi" mode

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I don't have a quaife, but I have the similar OBX differential that works the exact same way.

You are correct that it needs to be under load to begin with in order to fully actuate the feature that locks the axle collars together, BUT there is a "pre-load" which provides plenty of posi-like collar locking without any load put on it. I've tested mine with one wheel on gravel and one on bare pavement and it'll take off just like there's a Lincoln locker in there.

In other words, if you lifted one front wheel off the ground, and you spun it by hand, it'll feel just like an old school posi rear end. You can make it slip, but not without a lot of force.

You will not be disappointed and you'll never want to go back to the open differential. I'll guarantee it. And during normal driving, you can't even tell there is anything special in the transmission.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.