Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
24,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter wants an MP3 player for Christmas and all she wants to be able to do is rip her cd's and download them to the MP3 player.
She can rip the cd's with windows media player but I am seeing you need an encoder to download them to the MP3 player.
Does this software come with the software disc that comes with the MP3 player or is this something additional?
Obviously I am clueless about MP3 players.

·
Moparmaniac
312 Posts
It varies with which player you get. (Nothing like more confusion, right? ;) ) My son has an iPod, which of course uses iTunes as its software needed to convert & load songs. I've got a Creative ZEN which allows me to use Windows Media Player. (Easier for me to just rip and load the songs) One thing to look for is that the necessary software is included with whichever one you choose to get. Most of the players, I believe, include the software with them or it'll be downloadable from a website. I hope I haven't confused you too much and I'm sure you'll get much better advice than I've given.

·
Administrator
24,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was my question,it does come with a software disc that has to be downloaded onto the computer but I was unsure the encoder.I do not want to buy something that will not be what she wants.

·
Administrator
24,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw the free encoder downloads online.
The player I was looking at is the SanDisk Sansa e250 2 gb MP3 Video Player which has everything she is looking for and the customer reviews are great.This is on Walmarts website.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the SanDisk Sansa in the 4GB version. I rip CDs onto my computer using Windows Media Player and then drag the files over to the mp3 player with no problem and no encoder. The mp3 player does have software with it included that you need to add video or photos, but for mp3 files nothing special is needed.

·
Administrator
24,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You To All.
That is the answer I was looking for.
Are you happy with your SanDisk MP3? Does it live up to what all the customer reveiws say?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ya I like mine quite a bit. Haven't really read any of the reviews for them but it works well for me. The display is pretty nice, and it plays music just fine. I think I'd get somewhere around 10-15hrs of continuous music playback on one charge so thats pretty decent. I don't really use the video or picture modes so I can't comment on that.

Only negative thing about it is I've been having a few problems with the buttons on mine lately. Sometimes up is down and down is up, if that makes sense. I've only had mine for about a year, but I use it a whole lot. I don't know if the buttons are a common problem or a result of me always getting dirt and sawdust in it at work, so you might want to look into that. Other than that I'm definitely happy with it, especially when you compare it to an iPod or something similar.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey Naj, coming from the younger generation I can tell you you'll want to find out out much media she wants to put on. 2 gigs isn't very much, even 4 gigs isn't enough for most of us youngin's. Videos take up a lot of space and Almost everyone I know has a huge collection of music. Creative is a great company and makes good stuff, however I got an iPod video (30 gig) for christmas last year and I love it! They are spendy though. So whatever you choose, make sure it'll perform well enough for your daughter's needs :thumb:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ya, thats good advice. Even with the 4 gig version, I can only fit about 730 mp3 songs on it and a couple short videos. So I have to delete music anytime I want to add a new CD. If I were buying another for myself I would definitely pick up something bigger, especially if I wanted to use it for videos. But it all depends on one's preference, so I'd find out how much she wants to put on there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My daughters SanDisk Sansa lasted for a month before it won't boot any more. it's a 2GB m250. I haven't been able to fix it. Not sure if I should go with a SanDisk again or pony up more cash for an iPod.

·
Administrator
24,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought her the San Disk, Walmart is pretty good about returns and warranties so if anything happens I feel pretty secure it will be taken care of.
She only wanted 2gbs but you can buy memory cards so she can store music. she said she only wants to rip and download her CD's and does not want to pay for music downloads and will not use the video feature but I am sure that will change once she has it and starts using it.
I consider electronics like this to be disposable,if she gets a good year out of it and wants to upgrade then next X-Mas there will be more toys to choose from.
Last year I got her a digital camera and I researched as I did this and I got her a mid priced($200) camera with every feature she was looking for and she loves it so hopefully the MP3 will be the same.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Just curious, does your daughter like your Tona? (i want mine to be into cars lol) but not be a tomboy

·
Administrator
24,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She was 10 when I got my car.
She said she was never into cars but when she was little she knew she was in a nice car and now she prefers Trucks.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
My gf didnt bother with cars when i met her 4 years ago and now i have her making fun of ricers! I plan to give my daughter my gremlin or 68 chevy (wichever she wants, or i still have lol) when she turns 16. shes 16 months old now and she can say car and truck :)

·
Administrator
24,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another question,I feel really old asking these questions,I feel like I should know all this stuff.
It uses a rechargeable lithium-ion battery but it does not say anything about charging the battery or if anything is included other than the battery.So the question is do MP3 players come with a charger or a plug that will just plug into the player and wall. I do not even know what the battery looks like and I do not want to open the package,it is not in a box,it is in one of those sealed plastic containers with cardboard labeling on both sides.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
im not an MP3 expert but i think you just plug them into the USB port of the computer and they charge that way

·
Moparmaniac
312 Posts
Another question,I feel really old asking these questions,I feel like I should know all this stuff.
It uses a rechargeable lithium-ion battery but it does not say anything about charging the battery or if anything is included other than the battery.So the question is do MP3 players come with a charger or a plug that will just plug into the player and wall. I do not even know what the battery looks like and I do not want to open the package,it is not in a box,it is in one of those sealed plastic containers with cardboard labeling on both sides.

It does vary with the player. My ZEN didn't come with a charger but it did come with a USB cable for syncing with the computer. It will charge through the USB cable when hooked to the computer but it's slower, at least in my experience, than the charger.

·
Administrator
24,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought her a DLO Power Pack for Sansa. It includes a wall charger and car charger so she should be good to go.
Thanks for all the help.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts