Premium Member
7,664 Posts
Fault Code 24

Synopsis
Description: Throttle position sensor (TPS) signal is out of range
Power loss light: On
Limp-in mode: MAP sensor is used as an indication of thottle position

Possible Causes
TPS failure - The TPS is located on the throttle body on the opposite side of the throttle cable. Turn the engine off, disconnect the sensor and test it by connecting an ohmmeter (preferably an analog one) between the center and either outside pin of the sensor. Slowly open the throttle all the way and then slowly close it again. The ohmmeter should show a constant, smooth change in resistance as the throttle is moved. If there are any jumps in reading or no change in reading at all, replace the sensor. If the sensor seems ok, reconnect the sensor cable and turn the ignition on. One outside wire should be 5V, the other ground. The voltage on the center wire should vary as the throttle is opened (about 0V closed, 3V wide open). If power or ground is not present, check the wiring.

Bad connection or wiring - Check the wiring and connections between the sensor and the logic module (or SMEC). Clean and regrease any corroded connectors with dielectric grease. Check connections if there is no power or ground, or for shorts if there is power and resistance, but no output.

Fault Code 27

Synopsis
Description: Injector driver circuit 2 open or shorted
Power loss light: Off
Limp-in mode: None

Possible Causes
Bad connection or wiring - Check the wiring and connections to injectors 3 and 4 in the injector harness (above the fuel rail) and between the harness and the power module (or SMEC) and the injector contol lines between the logic module and power module. Clean and regrease any corroded connectors with dielectric grease and repair any shorts.

Injector driver transistor failure - Check the injector signals coming from the power module (or SMEC). They should rise to about 12V when the injector is off and drop close to 0V when the injector is on. If they are out of spec, you may need to replace the power module.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Fault Code 24

Synopsis
Description: Throttle position sensor (TPS) signal is out of range
Power loss light: On
Limp-in mode: MAP sensor is used as an indication of thottle position

Possible Causes
TPS failure - The TPS is located on the throttle body on the opposite side of the throttle cable. Turn the engine off, disconnect the sensor and test it by connecting an ohmmeter (preferably an analog one) between the center and either outside pin of the sensor. Slowly open the throttle all the way and then slowly close it again. The ohmmeter should show a constant, smooth change in resistance as the throttle is moved. If there are any jumps in reading or no change in reading at all, replace the sensor. If the sensor seems ok, reconnect the sensor cable and turn the ignition on. One outside wire should be 5V, the other ground. The voltage on the center wire should vary as the throttle is opened (about 0V closed, 3V wide open). If power or ground is not present, check the wiring.

Bad connection or wiring - Check the wiring and connections between the sensor and the logic module (or SMEC). Clean and regrease any corroded connectors with dielectric grease. Check connections if there is no power or ground, or for shorts if there is power and resistance, but no output.

Fault Code 27

Synopsis
Description: Injector driver circuit 2 open or shorted
Power loss light: Off
Limp-in mode: None

Possible Causes
Bad connection or wiring - Check the wiring and connections to injectors 3 and 4 in the injector harness (above the fuel rail) and between the harness and the power module (or SMEC) and the injector contol lines between the logic module and power module. Clean and regrease any corroded connectors with dielectric grease and repair any shorts.

Injector driver transistor failure - Check the injector signals coming from the power module (or SMEC). They should rise to about 12V when the injector is off and drop close to 0V when the injector is on. If they are out of spec, you may need to replace the power module.

Ok i tested the TPS not connected and it worked np.then i hooked it up and tested like it says and the ( One outside wire should be 5V, the other ground.) gave me a reading of 5.32
Then i tested the (The voltage on the center wire should vary as the throttle is opened (about 0V closed, 3V wide open) and closed gave me a reading of 1.05 and full open throttle gave me a reading of 4.32

code 27

I checked the connections and cleaned them out & regreased them and it didn`t work,so i got my spare injector wiring i had rewired it and still get code 27.I when ahead and tested for the signals from the Pm and got a reading of 0.00 off and 0.02 when on.

so im guessing my PM is bad,
I did the key dance thing and got codes 27 & 54 now.

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
Code 54 is triggered if the logic module doesn’t sense a signal from the fuel injector sync pickup during engine rotation. When code 54 is triggered the power limited light is lit and for the 1985 models the logic module will guess the injector timing. For 1984, 1986 and later models the engine will not start. This signal will usually present during the starting of cranking of the engine.

Possible Reasons for Chrysler Fault Code 54:
Poor wiring or connection - Check the wiring and connections from the logic module to the power module. Clean and re-grease the connectors with dielectric grease. Check the wiring from the O2 sensor to the harness. If the signal wire is grounded it will cause code 54.

Defective Hall Effect Pickup (HEP) – On turbocharged cars there are two flat cables with three conductors. These come out of the distributor where the HEP is located. Ensure that these connectors are connected properly and check the cables as they cross under the distributor cap. Over time these can fail due to repeated cap replacement. This failure can present as broken cables.

When replacing the HEP be sure to tie up the cables to the shroud which covers the distributor so they don’t swing around causing another failure. Also be sure to check the path under the distributor cap to insure they are not pinched.

·
Administrator
24,131 Posts
I could send you Chryslers diagnostics for the Codes 24 and 26 but you need a scanner to run them so they will not do you any good.
The Code 54 does not require he use of a scanner so I will send you them through PM.

Still :confused: as to why you have different codes each time you clear the codes, crank the engine for 7-10 seconds and recheck.
Also :confused: how your TPS readings are out of specs with both a used and new TPS.

Unfortunately I am not there and this is the best I can do.
Another thing about cars that sit...
Corrosion on terminals and animals that chew wiring harnesses.

After you run the Code 54 diagnostics you may want to start over by inspecting the LM Connectors for Damage and Corrosion and then verifying ALL controller power feeds are present with the proper voltage and that ALL controller grounds have continuity to ground. (Less than 5 ohms)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I ran the Code 54 file you sent me and cavity 1 had a reading of 9.27
And cavity 2 had a reading of 8.74

I went to do the test to the Lm but the terminal cavity for #17 did not have anything in it,it was empty no wire ran into it.I checked a couple
times to make sure i was looking at it correctly.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well i went out and bought a refurbished Pm and tried to get the right Hall Effect Pickup ( they sent the wrong one) I put the new PM in and it with fire a couple times then die.I did the key dance with the new PM in and i still get the same 2 codes 27,54.I figured the 54 would still be there but the 27 im stumped on.I changed out the injector wiring & the PM it there any where or else i can test ?I`m going to guess that there is a ground or bad wire between the injectors 3 & 4 and the Pm ? or could the injectors be bad ?

·
Administrator
24,131 Posts
I ran the Code 54 file you sent me and cavity 1 had a reading of 9.27
And cavity 2 had a reading of 8.74

I went to do the test to the Lm but the terminal cavity for #17 did not have anything in it,it was empty no wire ran into it.I checked a couple
times to make sure i was looking at it correctly.
At this point I would have to say that either the TN/YL wire is broken off in the harness or somebody changed the harness at one point.
ALL 85-87 Turbo LM's have the TN/YL wire in cavity #17 of the Blue Connector.
Only the TBI cars did not use that terminal.
1)Is there actually a pin in the LM for Cavity #17?
2)Is there a Terminal in the Blue Connector Cavity #17 with the wire broken off?
Without the sync signal wire to LM Blue Connector Cavity #17 the car will never run.

Also, it is actually the LM that pulses the injectors, not the PM.
The runs from the LM to the PM 12 Pin Connector through PM Internal Circuitry and out of the PM 10 Pin Connector to the Injectors.
Injector control for injectors 1/2 are on the VT/YL wire in Cavity #2 of the Red Connector.
Injector control for injectors 3/4 are on the GY/WT wire in Cavity #3 of the Red Connector.

IMO you need to correct the Code 54 issue before concerning yourself with injector control codes since the engine controller cannot properly pulse the injectors without the sync signal since it has no idea where #1 cylinder is.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I got the right Hall Effect Pickup today,i installed it hit the key,car started up np i let it run for 5 mins .Then i checked for codes and only ones that came up was 12 & 55.I disconnected the battery put the rest of the bolts in for the Pm & double checked the Hall Effect Pickup connections,turned the key and it started but then stalled back out,hit the key again got bupkis ran the code thing again and got 12,27,55.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Injector control for injectors 1/2 are on the VT/YL wire in Cavity #2 of the Red Connector.
Injector control for injectors 3/4 are on the GY/WT wire in Cavity #3 of the Red Connector.

What voltage or ohm should i get testing this ?

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
You shouldn't get any voltage. The ECU switches the ground side of the circuit.

You can check continuity from the injector harness to the PM, that should be very low.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I probed them wires on the red connecter VT/YL wire in Cavity #2 and GY/WT wire in Cavity #1.
I got a voltage reading of 5.02 volt from both when the ignition was on and 0.00 when off.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
I probed them wires on the red connecter VT/YL wire in Cavity #2 and GY/WT Cavity #1.
I got a voltage reading of 5.02 from both when the ignition was on and 0.00 when off.
If you probed the wires, then yeah, you will get some voltage. Because you are going through the injectors to ground. I don't know what the actual voltage should be.

But you should only get that for a split second when you turn on the key. The ASD relay will fire to prime the fuel system, which also powers the injectors and coil for a second, then it shuts off until the ECU senses the engine cranking via the HEP in the distributor. If you are getting 5V all the time, there is another issue.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I when out and probed the connecters that connect to the injectors 3/4 and i did not get a reading with or without the key on.I just changed out the Pm i got a referbed one.

·
Administrator
24,131 Posts
You need either a logic probe or noid lights to see if the injector is being pulsed.

When the ASD relay is actuated power should be a constant 12 volts at all four injectors, that never changes.
You can manually actuate the ASD relay and see if power is present and constant to all four injectors.
Once you verify that is correct, remove your manual jumper from the ASD relay, then check that power is still present at all four injectors when cranking the engine.

Using a noid light will eliminate having to do all of this.
You can rent them at Autozone.
OEM 8 pcs. noid light set 27161 - Read Reviews on OEM #27161

Unplug the injector connector and insert the noid light, crank the engine, one of three things will happen...
1)Does not light at all
2)Lights but does not flash on/off
3)Lights and flashes on/off

If power is present in all of the above situations then you know that the issue is with ground side control which could be either the LM, PM or any of the wiring/connectors in between.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ok i rented the OEM 8 pcs. noid light set,tested the first one and second one ( injectors for cylinder 1&2) and got pulses from them.I then tested 3&4 and got nothing,no pulse,light or anything from them.I already replaced the PM.

·
Administrator
24,131 Posts
If the Noid Light did not illuminatethen we know you have no power going to injectors 3 and 4.

Since you have power at injectors 1 and 2 we know you do not have an ASD issue, you have a wiring issue to injectors 3 and 4.
That wiring issue could be anywhere from the injector harness to the PM, you are going to have to check the circuit starting at the injector harness.

Start by testing power at the injector harness connector. (Circuit Z1)
1)If you have power at the injector harness connector (both sides) then you know your issue is in the injector harness.
2)If you have power going into the connector but not coming out the issue is with the connector terminals.
3)If you have no power into the injector harness connector then you have to check the circuit from the PM 10 Pin Connector Cavity #6 to the Injector Harness Connector.
4)Be aware...
If you have no continuity as listed above that means the wire is broken somewhere in the harness (probably at a splice) and it will require opening the harness to find it or just tapping into the ASD output wire and running new wires to the injector harness connector.
You have a couple of options to do this...
1)Check each section of the harness with an ohmmeter for continuity.
2)Manually actuate the ASD relay and check for power at the injector harness for injectors 3 and 4.

It does not matter where your ASD is located, either in the PM (85-87) or externally mounted (88 - up), you manually actuate it the same way up to 1990.
1)Locate the Diagnostic Connector
(I think it is on the R/S (passenger) on an 85)
2)Using a jumper wire ground the DB/YL wire in the diagnostic connector.
3)Turn the key to the "on" position.
4)The ASD will be actuated, the fuel pump will run and power will be present at the + coil and the fuel injectors on the DG/BK wires.

85-87 PM 10 Pin.jpg

ELECTRICAL- Diagnostic Connector.jpg

6-ASD Manual Actuation.jpg

IMG_NEW.jpg

21 - 40 of 46 Posts