Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i acually have billions of questions but il start one at a time, im dealing with a 1987 plymouth voyager 3.0l v6, it has a swapped 1994 3.0l, my questions, do 87 and 94 have same compression ratio? and im 99.9% sure that the 87 3.0l has 8.6:1 CR, ive heard rummers of 8.9:1.. but i think its acually 8.6, anyway, is this CR to high for a turbo? is 8.9 to high? i was thinking even if it is to high... cant you just retard the timing to make up for it?

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
old 3.0 are 8.85 and have chrysler pistons. 92+ (somewhere around there) are 8.9:1 mitsubishi pistons.

The chrysler pistons look a lot stronger because the top ring is lower and 3.0 pistons break on the intake valve relief because there is not enough material between the valve relief and the ring. Lower placement = more beef.

·
Registered
947 Posts
so is 8.9 ok to run a turbo?
It'll depend on what your goals are. 5 psi...probably not going to be a problem. 15 psi...I wouldn't expect reliability. An 8.9:1 CR is not really that high either. As long as you don't have any outrageous hp goals the stock (chrysler) pistons should be sufficient.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It'll depend on what your goals are. 5 psi...probably not going to be a problem. 15 psi...I wouldn't expect reliability. An 8.9:1 CR is not really that high either. As long as you don't have any outrageous hp goals the stock (chrysler) pistons should be sufficient.
im curently using mitsu pistons (as said by ondonti) will these work? what kind of hp would i see out of say 8psi boost? is 8 a reliable amount of boost for a daily driver?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Couple things.....with forged internals....8.9:1 compression is fine for actually quite a bit of boost....as long as its intercooled. If you are going to keep the stock internals 8 psi would probably be doable if you regapped the rings....but probably not safe for a daily driver i would guess. I could be way off here though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
another question... can i have a waste gate with a auto trans? i guess it wont make cool shifting noises tho... i odviously dont know shit about turboing.. + i noticed a "plug" in the side of my oil pan, about center... would that be a good spot to put the oil return line??

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I think you are referring to a Blow off Valve or a Bypass Valve. The waste gate is the valve that helps control the amount of boost in the turbocharged system.

Don't use that "plug" for an oil drain. That is there for an oil level sensor. The location will be too low for effective oil drain from a turbo into the pan. I would remove the pan, and have a look at the internal baffles. I would locate the drain above the baffles in the pan.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh i see.. i wounder if beside the dipstick hold would be ok? so is there a particular place to drain oil on that would benifit... like makeing sure its not being drained on one of the crank arms

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
best bet if you have the pan off is to eyeball it and have a bung welded/brazen on to the pan. Make sure it's a huge oil return, or that turbo is not going to last.

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
oh i see.. i wounder if beside the dipstick hold would be ok? so is there a particular place to drain oil on that would benifit... like makeing sure its not being drained on one of the crank arms
Are you talking about the front (aka forward on the vehicle) side of the engine? Is that where you plan on putting the turbo?

Most people (myself included) put the turbo toward the rear of the engine compartment. That is where the manifold I fabricate puts it.

The other place the turbo is located is over the transmission. Then you could place the oil drain back port on the front of the engine, however, I would still consider putting it on the back side of the block...

The best way to find the optimal placement for the oil return is to pull the pan and look...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well acually i was thinking on putting the turbo behind the engine... where the stock air box/filter sat, that would be best... but for looks then definatly over the trans., soooo what about this turbo manifold you make?? hmmmm????

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
very nice site!... you will be VERY usfull my friend.... i see paychecks and paychecks to come going in your hands lol....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.