Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
25,731 Posts
Depends on which wire it is. If it is the signal line probably not, if it is the power side of the heater(DG/BK) that is a direct short to ground from the ASD relay. If it is the ground side of the heater that may damage the sensor.
what vehicle is this for? Alldata is only showing a single wire O2 sensor for the vehicle you have listed in your profile.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure which wire it was but it blew a fuesable link when if shorted out. The car is a 86 but has three wire 02. I guess wiring has been changed. What was it changed to So I can be correct in getting parts for it like calibrations and such.

·
Administrator
25,731 Posts
Was the wire that shorted DG/BK?

·
Administrator
25,731 Posts
The DG/BK(DG) wire is the power feed for the O2 heater from the ASD relay(part of the PM on 85-87) that is why it blew the fuseable link.

·
Administrator
25,731 Posts
Well actually I kinda, sorta, did in my first post.
Unless the heater wire is shorted to the signal line internally there should be no problem.
Connect your voltmeter to the signal line and watch the O2 crosscounts, if it is crossing above and below .450 volts it and the system are fine.
If the O2 heater got damaged from the short the O2 will not act as a HO2S and when exhaust flow slows the O2 will cool down and the vehicle will go into open loop.
That was the purpose of HO2S, to help with faster O2 warmup and stop constant in and out of closed loop operation.
On OBD2 (1996 and up) the system will set a fault for HO2S heater circuit open/shorted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts