84-90 60mm mini calipers, and adaptors

vented early glh rotors (to keep 4 lug)

24mm master optional at later date

is this correct?

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
I would try to help, but I can't. The Pope gets VERY ANGRY.:(
LMAO no. Brakes are scary done wrong, but just doing the fronts is livable. You'll just plow in a straight line everytime you hit the brakes.

I suggest here to use a Daytona 4 lug rear drum and the whole 4 lug front setup off a 84-85 mini van. Then add your big master.

I have in the past removed all but one stud from a solid rear 10" disk. Then bolted a 4 lug front rotor to it. Then using a drill bit that just rubs the rotor, to keep the bit located right I then drill into the spindle 1/16". Then I remove the big bit and go down to the size the hole needs to be and drill it. Then back to the larger bit and drill the rear rotor with the front rotor. Not really that tough, the job takes an hour max. Just make sure the single pin big mini calpers are on first. Use 90 up 10" solid rear disk and they bolt on and the E brake hooks up. brakeplanet.com sells the whole package for about $100, pads and drilled and slotted rotors zink coated. I bought all 4 rotors and pads even in 11" for $180. Pretty to look at and pretty cheap to install. In your case you would order 4 lug mini or Daytona rotors and pads for the mini. Then 91 Dodge spirit rear disk setup completely.

·
Registered
999 Posts
LOL. I was just kidding. I figured I'd make a wisecrack & wait for you to come to help him. After all, you really do know the SLH stuff! :)
I like your water pump housing mod, too. :thumb: I saw it on the BM site and wondered why it wasn't here yet. Thanks for putting it here, too.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
LOL. I was just kidding. I figured I'd make a wisecrack & wait for you to come to help him. After all, you really do know the SLH stuff! :)
I like your water pump housing mod, too. :thumb: I saw it on the BM site and wondered why it wasn't here yet. Thanks for putting it here, too.

BM posts my faqs and other faqs. TD is more laid back with it. Still out of all 3 forums BM is the best for faqs. TD I spend a lot of time here talking. And I can't stand TM so I try my best to stay away from there. I wanted to port my water pump better and post new pics too. Origanally I was just trying it, I did a real sloppy cut and didn't really do a nice job, spent less than a minute on it I think. Even a crud job showed an increase and I ported a few others. Then relized that again everyone else has my best work and I keep the proto type crap for my self :drinking: So I did a nice job for me and took pictures of it lol.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Yeah, BM's FAQ's are great. I've only been to TM 3 times & hated it. The feel I got from it was "ricer got ahold of a TD."

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LMAO no. Brakes are scary done wrong, but just doing the fronts is livable. You'll just plow in a straight line everytime you hit the brakes.

I suggest here to use a Daytona 4 lug rear drum and the whole 4 lug front setup off a 84-85 mini van. Then add your big master.

I have in the past removed all but one stud from a solid rear 10" disk. Then bolted a 4 lug front rotor to it. Then using a drill bit that just rubs the rotor, to keep the bit located right I then drill into the spindle 1/16". Then I remove the big bit and go down to the size the hole needs to be and drill it. Then back to the larger bit and drill the rear rotor with the front rotor. Not really that tough, the job takes an hour max. Just make sure the single pin big mini calpers are on first. Use 90 up 10" solid rear disk and they bolt on and the E brake hooks up. brakeplanet.com sells the whole package for about $100, pads and drilled and slotted rotors zink coated. I bought all 4 rotors and pads even in 11" for $180. Pretty to look at and pretty cheap to install. In your case you would order 4 lug mini or Daytona rotors and pads for the mini. Then 91 Dodge spirit rear disk setup completely.

great thanks!

little more clarity

the calipers and caliper mounts can be off any 84-90 mini, be it 4 or 5 lug? and order 84 4 lug mini rotors and pads

do the master and rears at a later date (just a crap drive to work for the gas mileage car at the moment)

will i have any clearance issues with the calipers? can i still use the stock 13" wheels and tires? or do i have to use a bigger wheel?

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Some minis had a 2 bolt caliper, you want the 1 bolt calipers to get the bigger piston. So you may get a 87 caliper and bracket with a 84-85 rotor. All turbo minis had the right caliper and pad, you could buy the pads for the 89 mini and rotors for an 84. Its been a long time since I did the 4 lug bigger brakes lol.

get any mini van master if you want, it makes the brakes a little quiker reacting and less likely to lock.

I don't think the 13s fit, I believe you need a 14" wheel at least. Reliant K cars had a vented front disk that was smaller diameter and will work with 13" wheels and cool better. I have them on my wagon. At the very least you want the vented front rotors, but you may not need a big mini setup. Just a brake that doesn't fade and has more power.

If I was looking for the junk yard build up for my L body. I would look for a turbo Daytona in a yard and get the 15" aluminum wheels and rear brakes. Then buy the matching 4 or 5 lug mini van front brakes. Then run a cheap 195 50 15 tire. The early Daytonas ran 4 lug, so you don't have to change your front bearings. If your keeping the rear drums and not going to disk, then the turbo Daytona front brakes are big enough. Then you get it all from one car. 84 Turbo Z has everything you need really, including the wheels.

great thanks!

little more clarity

the calipers and caliper mounts can be off any 84-90 mini, be it 4 or 5 lug? and order 84 4 lug mini rotors and pads

do the master and rears at a later date (just a crap drive to work for the gas mileage car at the moment)

will i have any clearance issues with the calipers? can i still use the stock 13" wheels and tires? or do i have to use a bigger wheel?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks a bunch, got the caliper adapters and master off an '89 mini yesterday (and two unbroken door handles, and some lebaron hood vents all for $20)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so autozone has for the '89 turbo mini
ceramic pads for 20.99,
calipers for 20.99 each

and for the 84 mini
duralast rotors 34.99 each

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
so autozone has for the '89 turbo mini
ceramic pads for 20.99,
calipers for 20.99 each

and for the 84 mini
duralast rotors 34.99 each
need the calpier brakets off a van too to bolt on the calipers. Pretty good prices for a big brake upgrade and new stuff. I would buy the rotors from Brakeplanet.com, drilled and slotted, then zink coated for less than stock stuff.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Whats this BM you speak of?
boosted mopar forum. That is the second TD / SD forum, then the last one was TM as the youngest. BM also has a cool mailing list section that post mailing list emails. So you can see what is going on a few TD /SD lists.

Most talking is done here on turbododge, I am kind of hoping people start reading BM instead of thedodgegarage because of more up to date faqs.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
everything went together great, brake lines were a little short so I unbolted them from the strut, and my wheels dont fit.

I'm about 10mm shy of clearing the caliper, after being so careful to keep the 4x100 just cause I like these wheels.

anyways, I dont want to put spacers on without longer studs, anyone know the stud type I need to get? (can't find any honduh or veedub guys that will trade me wheels)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts