Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will having 104 unleaded race gas in my car cause any problems passing emissions?

I received a notice in the mail yesterday saying my license will be suspended if I don't bring my glht through emissions by April 21 (tomorrow). I just took the car to the track last weekend and put almost a half a tank of 104 octane unleaded race fuel in it. At $7.75 a gallon, I don't want to pour it out, nor do I want to just run the car around to try and use it all up (want to save it for next race event).

So I would just like to zip over to the emissions testing station this afternoon after I get out of work and bring the car through - anyone know if the race gas will cause me to fail emissions?

Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
tryingbe said:
You know you can put the race gas in the plastic gas tanks, right?

Just under the fuel feed line at the rail and hot-wire the pump.

cant believe a quality TD'r couldn't figure out how to drain the fuel tank.

to pass emissions... how long ago did you have the car tested? how did they figure out you were non-compliant. why do they only give you a couple days to solve your problem? this whole thing makes NO sense:confused:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Not being in a juristriction that worries about the enviroment, I do not understand how they could suspend your license. Would make more sense to revoke the car's registration.

Sorry, I have nothing constuctive to add to help with your issue.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It's worth a shot. If you fail emissions, they'll give you a certain amount of time to "fix" the problem. Then you can return with 1/8 tank of premium fuel and several bottles of "Stabil."

Also,in most jurisdictions, there is a loophole that prevents you from paying more than a certain amount to fix your emissions problem.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I know how to drain the fuel - I just didn't want to do that if I can pass without doing that.

The problem is that when I first bought the car 11 years ago, I lived in a different town. Apparantly they have been sending tax and emissions information to my old address and it never got forwarded to me. I went to motor vehicle a couple weeks ago to register a spirit rt that I picked up and they told me that I couldn't register it until I fixed the tax problem I had with my old town. Well, I did that, but they didn't mention the emissions thing to me. Now it seems that since they have my updated info for the glht, they knew where to send the delinquent notice to. They didn't care that I didn't get any of the other notices - the date of the suspension is non-negotiable.

I was just posting to see if I could get any feedback regarding the race fuel. I've decided I'm just going to go down to emissions and see if it passes. All I need is to have it tested to keep my license from being suspended - it doesn't have to pass. However, I'm planning on starting to rip the car apart this weekend for paint, so I thought it would be nice if it passed because you only get a 30 day window to retest it for free and I don't think I'll be done with paint before that.

I'm heading out for the test now, so we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
make sure you don't have the timing to far off from stock, cut back boost, lower fuel pressure. these will all help with getting a bit cleaner pass. I've added alcohol to ensure my performance stuff passes. and it did with flying colors.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the verdict is in - race gas is OK. I didn't change a thing and the car passed - barely!

+20's, 22 psi boost - 14 degress of timing and 104 unleaded race gas. I guess the cal I made for it must be doing OK for part throttle emissions :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts